Finally srarted the buckboard Bacon.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scotty

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Lecanto Florida
Im using DJs recipe .
Her pastrami tastes exactly like the NY deli and coney island pastrami that i was brought up on so i expect this buckboard bacon to be out of this world.
The pictures of the B.Bacon ore enough to make me salivate .
icon_biggrin.gif

I will not be able to smoke it in 2 weekshough. Can i leave it for 3 weeks in the rub((GOOP))???

DJs recipe is straight foreward. No mystery there. I just dont see how one can let the meat soak in a bag. I used a plastic container with a cover. I mixed the ingredients in the bag then poured the goop over the butts.

Scotty -

My love of Pastrami came from the Italian section of NYC. Hence the reason I call it NY Deli style. Glad you liked it. My family and the guys at work go crazy for it!

I actually like the pork belly bacon better than the buckboard bacon. Buckboard is more hammy than real bacon. It's good though - just wanted you to know what it tastes like. If you slice it real thick it's almost a Candian bacon and real thin similar to regualr bacon.

I use a vacuum sealer to brine all my meats - just triple seal to be sure there's no leaks. I think the brine is more uniform in the vacuum bags and they take less room in the fridge.

If you can't smoke it for a few weeks I'd rinse it like yu were going to smoke it and freeze it until you can smoke it. I haveleft it in the brine for 2 weeks but it gets softer. When you do smoke let it sit open in the fridge for a few days to dry up a bit.

Lisa - Just go here: http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/SmokingMeatMenu.htm

Thanks for the tip. I was going to leave it in the goop for the three weeks.

As far as the pastrami goes, because I dont have a decent slicer iwould like to have made it a bit more tender. Would smoking/cooking to a higher internal temp accomplish that????

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky