Faulty Mav ET732 25* diff

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

goolsbymd

Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
Chesapeake,VA
Ok second smoke in my life and trying to nail his 8.65lb Boston butt, this is the first time i a getting to use my new Mav 732. WSM says 230 ET732 says 250*. So i put it in the oven at 170 and its still 25 degrees off, i inspected the probe and noticed when i put the butt on i touched the probe and some juice and rub got on the end and is now blackened on. I have cleaned it and replaced it on the wsm. I have a potatoe standing by to replace the little metal clip if its still off and if that doesnt work ill perform the boil test and up date you all. Hoping the juice burned on was the problem.

Was still reading 25* high so i took the little metal clip off and diced up a 2"x2" potatoe, recleaned and stuck it through. It is now reading 3* higher than the dome therm on the WSM which i have heard is fairly accurate by itself so i believe this is more likely correct now. I guess ill make a perm fix later out of hickory or some other wood.

Hmm wow ok well i did the crushed ice water slush test and she settled in around 34 and the boil test was just about spot on. Hard to believe the dome is 25* lower than the ET732. Ill cook it using the Mav therm and see how it turns out. Hard to believe i cooked a 6lb butt and used the dome at 225-240 the entire time which means it was around 250-265 the whole cook. Exciting to see how juicy this one turns put.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky