Family Smoking Shootout in Parker Colorado

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nwdave

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
After all the previous mentions in various threads, kinda sorta mentioning the Family Smokeout where the young bucks try to show up the old man, it's finally happening, today as a matter of fact.  Sit back and enjoy the ride because thanks to many members on this site, I've sharpened my skills a tad and with the introduction of a WSM to my weaponry, it'll be fun and a true learning experience.  Someone forgot to tell me that smoking meat at 5900+ feet was different than at sea level.  I've had a couple of practice smokes and discovered it takes longer.  Enough of the chit-chat and on to the meat of the subject (sorry, I couldn't help myself).

Yesterday, I started the preparations for today's smoking session.

First off, the meat choice of the day:

8b4190b0_01BeefSRLabel.jpg

Sorry about that.  Count that as a morning neck twisting exercise.  Next, a side view in cryovac:

26c6a2e1_02BeefSRsideview.jpg

And of course, a plug for the fine meat market that has great meat selections.  If you're ever in the Denver Metro area, look these folks up and bring a towel to wipe up the drool:

d706adbf_03TonysPlug.jpg

The not to secret "Secret Ingredients".  Looks familiar?  It should if you read Jeff's newsletter back a couple of months ago.  I'm following his "method", kinda sorta.  Thanks Jeff for a great way to do Dino Bones.

26f91252_04TheSecretIngredients.jpg

WARNING, WARNING:  You are now entering the drool zone.  Please back away from your keyboards.  I cannot accept responsibility for damage to your keyboards.  Thank You.

b15815f9_05DinoBonesLottsaMeat.jpg

You are still in the drool zone:

4c7fbc80_06MeatCrossSection02.jpg

You can just make out the bone in the meat section in the upper left of the QVue.  That translates to a lot of meat.

You may now exit the drool zone, for now.

A brief rest in the bath of rub and sauce:

c7c12cc6_07DinoBonesinthebath.jpg

Into the vac pac and back to the fridge for a long contemplation of their fate:

85db4098_08VacPacandreadyforFridge.jpg

And now, the sun has risen, the birds are chirping.  Looks to be another fine day in a city just southeast of Denver.  The Adult kids are still asleep (secret #01:  Get up before them and get first access to the counter for the preps needed). 

This will be good.  The kids like to entertain so they're well versed in that side of it and they're also well versed in their smoking skills (but don't tell them I said so, it goes to their head and makes them think the old man is worried.) 

More to come.  I'll try to get the SIL (Dnvrdv) to pose and post for his contributions to today's efforts.

My Son is prep smoking at his house but I'll sneak in a couple shots of the finished product anyway.

~Dave

Wow!!!!

This is the kinda shootout that would be more fun with a front row seat & a knife and fork in your hand!!!

YeeeeeeHaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Bear

Alrighty then, Dnvrdv has got his going.  I had mine on earlier but had to duck out for some important items (like ice).  In the continuing saga:

Thanks to Smokin' Al, I'm trying out his method for starting and maintaining. 

4ec84911_09SmokinAlsMethod.jpg

If you've followed the mods I've been making to the WSM, we're now on Wheels Mark 2:

6e93fc04_10WheelMod02.jpg

Bought the wheels at Lowe's.  They're the ones used in those metal stands that use the wedge system.  Next up, drool warning.  The ribs spent about 24 hours in marinade.  Looking good:

ee0bc997_11DinoRibsontworacks.jpg

Enough of the pics, lets get to smoking:

ae26077c_12InShiningGlory.jpg

So far, we're just doing fine.  We've been smoking now for about 2 1/2 hours and in another half hour I'll put the ribs into pans with Beef Broth and continue the smoke for about another 3 hours.  Low and slow.

~Dave

Ask and you shall receive.  It's been a long tough struggle, slaving over a hot smoker........  WARNING, WARNING.  THE FOLLOWING IS A PUBLIC SERVICER ANNOUCEMENT.  A DROOL WARNING HAS BEEN IMPLEMENTED ON THIS THREAD.  This poster is NOT responsible for anyone's failure to take adequate protection.  END OF WARNING.

My smoked meat is panned and getting ready to hit the tables:

Whaddaya think?  Chef nibbles say it's great.

9ca69057_Pan.jpg

Then, of course, I put one away for a neighbor who has the evening duty with a local police department. Maybe if his partner, a patrol canine, is good, he'll get to chew on the bone.

b15351ed_ChefsChoice.jpg

The other Dave will be checking in soon with his Pork Baby Backs.  Definitely wish we had smellavision. 

To be continued.

~Dave

Jeez, I've been watching this tabbed thread, just refreshing it everytime it popped up on top of the new posts.

Looks like a load of great eats to be had somewhere near Denver tonight, and a ton of fun bringing it all together.

Is there more for Sunday??? Ha-ha!!!

Keep rolling, 'cause it's lookin' pretty darn good from where I'm sitting!

Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky