Fall picnic! Back on track!!! now with Mega Q-VIEW!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Pops brine for the cb too?
Yes. I haven't done a dry rub cure for over a year. My digital scale broke and I don't have a good way to weigh the meat or the ingredients anymore. So I'll make up another batch of Pop's and brine for 8-10 days.

So Disappointed!!!! That is mold floating on top of the brine. I have no idea how or why. I have brine a bunch of meat using Pop's brine and this is a first for me. Everything was super sterilized, all fresh ingredients. Cold fridge, running at its normal temp.
th_crybaby2.gif
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
102.gif
huh.gif
wtf1.gif
head-wall.gif
107.gif

So Disappointed!!!! That is mold floating on top of the brine. I have no idea how or why. I have brine a bunch of meat using Pop's brine and this is a first for me. Everything was super sterilized, all fresh ingredients. Cold fridge, running at its normal temp.
th_crybaby2.gif
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
102.gif
huh.gif
wtf1.gif
head-wall.gif
107.gif
daaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmnnnnnnn!!! that sucks!!!! something go wrong in the brine?

I did send Pop's a PM.

The mold here is the fuzzy blue, white and green type. I haven't thrown anything out yet as garbage day it tomorrow. I should mention that there was no foul odor.

Don't throw it out!  Drain the brine and replace it with fresh is all.  There are many things going on in the brine, esp. with sugar, it can make brine moldy or ropy (foamy).  You have injected it, so brine has gotten in the meat, rightfully so.  The meat also oozes out product too, this is normal and can create an environment to mold the brine.  It is like cheese molding, not a bad thing, just remove it.  Has it been humid there?  Just that alone could cause it.  Unless it smells spoiled and/or it is slimy-spoiled, it is just it's process.  Take it out, dump the old brine, clean the container, rinse it off, put it back in and let it finish curing to your smoke date.

Don't throw it out!  Drain the brine and replace it with fresh is all.  There are many things going on in the brine, esp. with sugar, it can make brine moldy or ropy (foamy).  You have injected it, so brine has gotten in the meat, rightfully so.  The meat also oozes out product too, this is normal and can create an environment to mold the brine.  It is like cheese molding, not a bad thing, just remove it.  Has it been humid there?  Just that alone could cause it.  Unless it smells spoiled and/or it is slimy-spoiled, it is just it's process.  Take it out, dump the old brine, clean the container, rinse it off, put it back in and let it finish curing to your smoke date.
That's why your the man.   
icon14.gif

Thanks Pops! Noted and new brine will be going in tonight!

Yay!!! All is well!!! Thanks againPops!! I just pulled the picnic, absolutely no smell. Dumped the brine, cleaned the bucket, rinsed the picnic. Made a new batch and put it back in. All happy again!

Ok. Just wondering for when I do ham

Look at my first post I put the info for Pop's recipe there I think. It has the lengths of time for brining. I really want to do a ham like Mr T, does but currently I do not have the space to do it properly.

I was wondering when the brine might go bad.

In a perfect world with perfect ingredients it's not supposed to. Pops could fill ya in more. We've had some high humidity here lately and that is what he thought might have been the culprit. But not to be led astray, there really was nothing wrong going on there. Pops eluded to the mold growing on cheese as an example.

It's getting closer to smoke day!!! Going in the smoke at 5am, Saturday morning! Yay, I can't wait!!!! Tomorrow I will pull the picnic from the brine and let it air dry in the fridge overnight. Plan is to cold smoke for 6 hours, then into the mini, low and slow until we hit the magic IT of 165*.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky