Fall picnic! Back on track!!! now with Mega Q-VIEW!!!

Discussion in 'Pork' started by dirtsailor2003, Aug 15, 2013.

1. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

So it begins.

Following Pop's brine recipe:

for every 1 gallon of water, add:

1/3 - 1 cup sea salt (depending if you're on a lo-salt diet)

1 cup granulated sugar or Splenda®

1 cup brown sugar or Splenda® brown sugar mix

1 tbsp cure no. 1 pink salt

stir thoroughly until clear amber color, pour over meat, inject if necessary to cure from inside-out as well as outside-in

weight down with a partially filled 1 qt or 1 gal. ziploc bag or bags to keep meat immersed

Curing times vary with meat, but generally overnight to 2-3 days for chickens and turkeys, 8-10 days buckboard bacon, 10-14 days belly bacon, pork shoulder, whole butts, 3-4 weeks whole hams, 10-20 days corned beef (fresh beef roasts, briskets, rolled rib roasts, etc.)   If whole muscle is more than 2" thick, then inject so it can cure i/o as well as o/i, and/or in and around bone structures, etc.

You can add any other flavorings you'd like, this is just the basic curing brine. 1 heaping tablespoon of cure is about 1 ounce.  The maximum concentration allowed safely is 3.84 ounces per 1 gallon of brine (24 lbs.per 100 gallons: 16 oz. x 24 = 384 ounces, 1/100th is 3.84 ounces).  You can experiment with different concentrations as long as you keep it between those parameters:

Trimmed the skin off in one big chunk. Gonna make some dog treats out of that. S0 3-4 weeks from now I'll have ham!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  2. Case

I'm in[​IMG]

It should be good.

Happy smoken.

David

3. Nice! I will be keeping my eye on this one  [​IMG]   Did you add anything extra to the brine?

4. dirtsailor2003

Jeremy I went with the straight brine for this one. Really wanted to see how it tastes without anything else first.

I'd like to do one like MR T's Country Ham. I just don't have a good place to do it yet.

5. I'd like to make a few of those too  [​IMG]   I buy 6 -12 country hams a year at an old country store roughly an hour away at the state line so it would be nice to make my own. I am thinking REALLY HARD about making a small meat processing/curing room to play in  [​IMG]   I will definitely be following this thread!  [​IMG]

6. fwismoker

fwismoker Master of the Pit

I want to make dog snacks out of the skin as well. I knew how to do it at one time but forgot.. So if you give a refresher I'll be taking notes!

7. dirtsailor2003

Keith I was planning on following this method posted by Todd:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/138705/bacon-dog-treats

8. fwismoker

fwismoker Master of the Pit

YES! Now I remember seeing that. It couldn't be simpler, I'm never throwing out pig skin ever again.

9. kathrynn

kathrynn Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Count me in!!!!  [​IMG]

Kat

10. woodcutter

woodcutter Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I'm ham crazy! I'm in.

[​IMG]

11. dirtsailor2003

Still not exactly sure how I am going to finish this project. Not sure if I'll cold smoke it some or just hot smoke it, decisions...

12. lazykitty

lazykitty Fire Starter

Ham is my fav.  I'm in!  [​IMG]

13. dirtsailor2003

Well I checked on the picnic this morning. It's still in the fridge swimming in Pop's Brine. Sept 6-8 looks to be the smoke dates [​IMG]

14. Did you decide if you are gonna hot smoke or cold smoke yet? 

15. dirtsailor2003

Jeremy I think that I am going to cold smoke for 6-8 hours. Let it rest over night and then hot smoke it the next day. That's the plan for now unless I here of any other ideas. Might even use my UDS for both smokes, or maybe just use the mini-wsm.

16. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

How long will the total brine time be?

17. dirtsailor2003

Farmer I am looking at 4 weeks +/- a few days. Pop's recommends 3-4 weeks for whole hams ( I know this isn't a whole ham). But that is how long I'm going for.

18. c farmer

Nice,  I want to do cb next and then hams.

19. dirtsailor2003

I need to do some more CB. I just saw that our local market has full loins on sale, $1.29lb. so I am going to pick one up and have it ready to smoke when I do the picnic. Might as well load up the smoker!

20. c farmer

Pops brine for the cb too?