Embers Ridge briquetes still cheap

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I was pretty nose blind to KBB until I switched to RO Ridge. Now I use the Ridge in the smoker, the KBB I have left only in the grill. I still have about 40 lbs of KBB left.

The difference in smell between KBB and RO Ridge on the chimney start is noticeable. Both the KBB and Ridge startup smoke is blue, but the smoke of the KBB is more dense and acrid. Smokes longer too. The smell goes away once it is ashed over and hot.

Several years ago I bought a couple bags of RO Lump. One bag was perfect. The other had a HEAVY diesel fuel smell. I didn't use the lump, left the bag open, and it took 3 years for the smell to completely go away. I don't know if it was a spill issue in transport, or unburned fuel when the wood was being carbonized, but it took a long time for the lump to be useable.

Reactions: pc farmer
Here's what is documented in Wikipedia:

Kingsford Charcoal is made from charred softwoods such as pine and spruce which is then mixed with ground coal and other ingredients to make a charcoal briquette. As of January 2016, Kingsford Charcoal contains the following ingredients:[7][8]

• Wood char - Fuel for heating
  • Mineral char - Fuel for heating
  • Mineral carbon - Fuel for heating
  • Limestone - Binding agent
  • Starch - Binding agent
  • Borax - Release agent
  • Sodium nitrate - Speed up ignition
  • Sawdust - Speed up ignition
The raw materials, primarily wood waste from regional sawmills, are delivered to the factory. The wood waste is fed into pits to undergo magnetic filtration to remove any metallic parts. The wood waste is then ground into fine particles and whisked with hot air to remove any moisture.[9] The wood particles are later processed through a large furnace with multiple hearths (called a retort) in a controlled-oxygen atmosphere. The particles are stacked in batches in a kiln that chars the wood without burning in a controlled-oxygen atmosphere. The wood is progressively charred as it drops from one hearth to the next. The charred wood particles are combined with the other ingredients, press formed into pillow-shaped briquettes and dried out before being packaged to be sold.[10]

I see BBK is like 18.6 lb bags now. ( maybe the always were). Are those double bag sales with the 18 lb bags also? or do they use like two of the smaller 15 lb bags for that deal?

Last edited:
Two-pak size depends on the seller, but the weight of the briquettes has been reduced with formula changes over the years.

Costco, HD, and Lowes always had the highest weight of the two paks. More than 10 years ago, the two paks weighed 48 lbs (2x24 lb). Then they started dropping to the 37.2 lbs (2×18.6 lbs) available today after several formula changes).

Other stores offer smaller two paks.

Found a new Ridge charcoal brand at some party store by me.
IMG_20171113_174018.jpg

Great Lakes brand ridge.. hehe..
Beer store prices though.

Anyone try the Walmart brand?

Only $4.92 for 16lbs

344c2384-3476-45cb-b0f7-e293b4a34269_1.02db4c23cdcf31e21ece804a29bbbbbf.jpeg

Interesting. Looks like Walmart is packaging the restaurant quality RO Ridge. If they have it at my local WM, I'll buy it!

When I look at it online it gives me a "Item is no longer available" notice. I was at WM late last week picking up some wood chunks. Didn't see any of this charcoal.

I would try it for sure..
Our GFS stores sell big 30 lb bags of what they call chef or restaurant charcoal. But I never see it on sale.

I would try it for sure..
Our GFS stores sell big 30 lb bags of what they call chef or restaurant charcoal. But I never see it on sale.
One thing I've noticed is all RO brands have the same Made in USA Logo on them some bigger and some smaller but their logo design nonetheless.I'm gonna check local WM and see if they have the stuff shown above *notice it does NOT have the same logo I mentioned.I'll try it if they have it.

Bill

One thing I've noticed is all RO brands have the same Made in USA Logo on them some bigger and some smaller but their logo design nonetheless.I'm gonna check local WM and see if they have the stuff shown above *notice it does NOT have the same logo I mentioned.I'll try it if they have it.

Bill
I have used the kroger ones often.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky