Electric UDS Smoker Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

efaden

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Hey,

My plan is to take the 55 Gallon Drum I scored today and convert it into an Electric UDS.  I want to mount the element at the bottom, mount a few racks, possibly a fan to convect if needed and then use a side smoke box so I can control the temperature and the smoke independently. On to the questions...
  1. How big of an element should I get (wattage/voltage)?  Anyone have a recommended source for heating elements?
  2. Do I need a fan?  Any sources fan that can deal with the heat?
Thanks.

-Eric

That's pretty close to what you would get  if you went with the regular lump burning  UDS but I can see the appeal of an electric set it and forget it rig as well. Do some searches for Electric UDS because I know there are a few out there already. I can't think of the user that has one but I know he had to build it because his apartment complex wouldn't allow him to use anything with a flame to cook.

That's pretty close to what you would get  if you went with the regular lump burning  UDS but I can see the appeal of an electric set it and forget it rig as well. Do some searches for Electric UDS because I know there are a few out there already. I can't think of the user that has one but I know he had to build it because his apartment complex wouldn't allow him to use anything with a flame to cook.

I am not opposed to lump coal, I just already have some of the electric parts from home brewing.  For example I have a PID, thermocouple, SSR, etc.  I really would just need to get the element.  I was just trying to figure out just how much "heat" I need.  I'll poke around some more.  I found a few Electric UDS threads, but didn't really see much talk about the elements themselves.  

I assume to control the lump, you are talking about the PID controlled intake fan?

Hey EFaden,

Here's a link to an electric UDS build by "meateater", a member I haven't seen around here in several months. This thread has some good info. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/99211/sparky-the-uds  He did his with a 30 gallon drum.

These are links he sent me in case I wanted to build one. The bottom link is where he got is 30 gallon drum.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Smoker-Electric-Converter/734414.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dheating%2Belements%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=heating+elements&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Barrel-Company

I forgot, the maximum temp I can get my barrel up to is 235 degrees. We have had a few cold days here already this year and I just wrap the barrel up with two wool blankets.

Sorry for the delay. Wound up getting a 3400 watt oven element. Got it mounted and should have the control panel v. 01 done soon. I'll post some pictures when I do.

Running off of 240v. Comes in at about 17A so I should have plenty of power. Just need to figure out my smoker generator. Leaning towards a metal box on the element for now. Eventually id like a smoke generator on the side.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Sorry for the delay. Wound up getting a 3400 watt oven element. Got it mounted and should have the control panel v. 01 done soon. I'll post some pictures when I do.
Running off of 240v. Comes in at about 17A so I should have plenty of power. Just need to figure out my smoker generator. Leaning towards a metal box on the element for now. Eventually id like a smoke generator on the side.

3400w out to give you all the temp you need..maybe think about puting a line voltage thermostat on it for controlling the temp.

3400w out to give you all the temp you need..maybe think about puting a line voltage thermostat on it for controlling the temp.
One step ahead of you... It is going to be controlled by a PID w/ a 3-Wire PT100 Probe.  I have the element mounted and the 20A circuit wired in my garage.  I just have to mount the rack, temperature probe, and wire up the controller.  I'll take pictures once I get it wired.

Alright.  Update time:

Built the prototype controller and got it all wired.  Did a trial run just to make sure the element heated up.  Looks good.  My plan is to mount 2 racks in there and the probe this week and then it should be good to go... oh... also have to clean out the drum (ash from burn out and metal shards from drilling the holes.   See the pictures.

Controller:

5418297e_IMAG0098.jpg

Element Connection on The Outside of the Drum:

040a0608_IMAG0097.jpg

Element Inside the Drum:

a16f8f08_IMAG0095.jpg

-Eric

I made my UDS with a1.5"air intake. That way I can go either electric or charcoal depending on what I want. Just run the electrical cord out through the air intake. I use a AMNPS with the electric to do bacon and such when I only want low temperatures. Works really well.

Good luck.

I made my UDS with a1.5"air intake. That way I can go either electric or charcoal depending on what I want. Just run the electrical cord out through the air intake. I use a AMNPS with the electric to do bacon and such when I only want low temperatures. Works really well.

Good luck.

That's a good idea. My goal was to use the oven element to hit whatever temperature I need. Hopefully will run a test soon to see how hot she will get.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky