Eat More Pickled Eggs!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
i remember a couple decades ago bein at the bar and they had this huge jar of pickled eggs in it, all i know i wudnt eat them but once you tried them they were really good with the beer. wud love a recipe that would imitate those...the turkey gizzards wernt to bad, never got drunk enuff to do the pigs feet!!!

Nope, I don't think I could do the pigs feet either. As for the eggs... I think some are just thrown into vinegar with a bit of food coloring. Could be wrong, but I do recall seeing them on the deli counter when I was a kid, but I don't remember seeing any spices flaoting around. Vinegar is probably the right place to start for the base, but I guess you can add whatever you like from that point.

if i remember rite had maybe picling spices and red jalepenos in it, vineger water ratio??? and any other stuff i dont know. no coloring in it either. but just in case someone has a recipie my book is open.

Here is my friend's pickled turkey gizzard recipe.
smile.gif

1/2 gallon turkey gizzards
3 cups vinegar
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon mixed allspice
2 dried red peppers
1/2 stick cinnamon
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 large onion, peeled and sliced

Place fresh gizzards in a 4-quart Dutch oven. Pour enough cold water over the gizzards to cover. Heat to boiling, immediately reduce temperature to simmer. Simmer until tender, about 45-60 minutes.

In another saucepan, combine vinegar, water, salt, sugar and spices. Heat to boiling and continue to boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool. Stir in the garlic clove. In a sterlized glass or crockery container, alternately layer gizzards and onion slices. Pour vinegar brine over gizzards and onions. Cover and refrigerate. For maximum flavor, refrigerate for 8 to 12 hours.

He also uses this for pickled venison heart. He slices the pickled hearts to eat on crackers.

I like the gizzards, but have not tried the heart.
I've got a pickled pigs feet recipe....if I can find it. lol

Cowgirl? Are you sure you aren't old world Polish or Slovak?
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

All of this pickeling and kraut talk has me thinking, and that could be dangerous. I would love to see a pigs feet recipe.

I just never did aquire a taste for pickeled Herring
PDT_Armataz_01_27.gif

A kind of peculiar thought about some of the pickeled meats that I tasted way back in another lifetime. Of all the traditional and old world (European) special treats and such, the pickeled meats always kind of held a special place or had a special aura around them. They weren't for the general population so to speak. That is, if you were in the room when pickeled heart was brought out, you were in the club or like a "made man". Some things just weren't shared with everyone. Maybe because there wasn't that much to go around or there may have been a stigma of being too close to the "Old world" and not Americanized enough, although some of the old "DPs" and the first and second generation immigrants are the most American folks that I know. Glad I got to grow up in the time and place that I did. Or then again, maybe they knew that not everyone had a taste for some of the finer things in life.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

The next question would be "How would they taste if you'd smoke them before you pickled them?"

Why they would taste like a pig walked through a burning pile of.....Juuuuussssst Kidding.

The recipes look easy enough, but I may just buy a jar at the store. I don't see my wife going along with me simmering pigs feet, ham hocks maybe, but I know that the feet would cause a stir to say the least.

I just threw a batch of Texas Hunter's Jalapeno pickled eggs into the frig. In two weeks time, well I'll enjoy them at least
biggrin.gif
Probably the others in the household, not so much.

Finally got around to this. Threw together a small batch Saturday before last, so they'll be ready this coming Saturday. Here is what I did:

Jap slices w/ 1/3 cup juice
Nana Pepp slices with 1/3 cup juice
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
tbsp minced garlic
salt
pepper
3 splashes of Tobasco

Can't wait to try.

This sounds interesting. Do you just boil all ingredients together? Do you store in the fridge? Any more details on the process you can provide?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky