Eat More Pickled Eggs!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

navionjim

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 16, 2007
Houston Texas
OK Folks!
I think it was Texas Hunter who started this, so when my wife leaves me for good I can thank him for it!

I had to do some pickled eggs after seeing his post, this is what I came up with based on my past experience with pickling egg in the Pacific Northwest style, this time winging it a bit too once the spice cabinet was open. All of the below is in a 1/2 gallon Mason Jar in the fridge.

Started With:
18 hard boiled eggs
1 can Sliced Red Beets (just for the nice color)
3 cloves of fresh garlic
1 Tsp Tender Quick (Hay what the hell?)
1 Tsp: Kosher salt
I TBL Pickle Spices
1 TBL Black Pepper
1 TSP Colman's Mustard Powder
1 Tsp Onion Powder
1/8 Tsp Celery Salt
1/4 Tsp Alum
1/4 Tsp Cream Of Tarter
1/4 Tsp All Spice
1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Cup White Vinegar
1 Cup Apple Juice.

I'll pull one out after the first week and try it, but If I remember right it takes at least two weeks for the red color, and therefore the pickle to reach the yokes. Hopefully I'll have my camera back by then.
Jimbo

Let's see--Dutch's wicked baked beans and TH's pickled eggs WOW what a blast,I'll make sure I'm not wearing my coveralls, Gas travels

Here is a batch that has turned red all the way thru the yolks! If you want a real treat, make deviled eggs out of the pickeled eggs, the best deviled eggs I have ever had!

When I was a kid my mom made a batch or two of the pickeled eggs with green food coloring. Talk about a kid needing therapy....
82489c92_vbattach17597.jpg

b15bff5f_vbattach17598.jpg

Man Geek!
I forgot to mention that the eggs are peeled before they go into the jar!
Jimbo

Damn ...... pickled eggs ...... haven't had any of them in a long time. You find them sold in a lot of pubs over in England. Big ol jar of them just sitting on the bar. A few pints and it's "gimme a couple of them eggs"

I remember that from my years in Glamorgan South Wales those and Scotch eggs, they had the same effect there as here!

Two things for the color. #1, if you want it to absorb faster, put those hard boiled eggs into the "brine" while the brine is hot. We put all of our liquids into a pot on the stove, bring up to just about a boil, take it off of the stove and put the eggs in it then.

#2 a little more work, but use fresh beets. Our eggs are almost purple when we do them!

We also add some sugar to the recipe. Just plain white, off of memory, I think a cup.

This is so funny... when I got home yesterday, my wife had three eggs boiled up and shoved in a jar of pepperoncini. Pretty good actually, but we both want to try a big jar now, and smoking them sounds great.

Hey Nav ..... that's why i thought i'd try smoking some scotch eggs instead of deep frying. They were awesome.

In this house i think i'd be the only one eating pickled eggs. I'm sure the wife would love me even more if did . Think i'd be sleeping with our two labs.
PDT_Armataz_01_26.gif

Ashamed to say I have never had pickled eggs. Am sure I'd like them though. Love pickled sausage and harboiled (especially deviled) eggs, so.......

@ K5YAK and all. Putting other stuff into the juices from store bought pickels and peppers could almost cause fist fights at my house when I was growing up. Mostly because we kept eating each others creations!
biggrin.gif
Between the canning and pickeling that we did and all of the store bought stuff, there was always a jar or two of something in the fridge and if one of those jars was not a dedicated egg jar, then there would likely be an egg or six in with the banana peppers or gardinia mix or whatever had room.

Carrots and califlower were another big favorite to add to a jar of pepper juice.

@ Shellbellc Yep, heating the brine will help speed things up. I usually dissolve the salt and spices and add them to the eggs and beets (I don't heat the beets in the pan) I am also trying to remember to use sliced beets from now on. They take up less room, are easier to get out of the jar (Too hard to stab a round beet with a fork) and it seems that the whole beets are awful strong with vingar when the eggs are done.

I used to do pearl onions, but they seem to take on a bad taste. Maybe fresh instead of canned?

Well, the wife and I whipped up a batch last night. Sorry I don't have any pics, but perhaps I'll take some when I pull my first sample out. We did 18 eggs using most of the same ingredients posted here, but added about 1 cup of jalapeno juice. Hope that works out ok. Got em stored im my kegerator so I don't have to look at them every time I open the fridge. Hopefully I can forget about them for at least the rest of the week. Maybe I'll fish one of those juicy devils out this weekend. Need to buy another pack of eggs today so I can boil them up in a week or two. Seems that the fresh ones are a bit stubborn.

There was a time whan you could find the same thing in a bar here alongside the pickled balogna teeotee. Then the "Health Dept." figured out there was something good there besides just the drinks.

Teeotee, what I've been thinking is to combine all theses good thoughts and make the Scotch egg fatty someone posted on here a while back with the pickled eggs in the middle! Man I'm sure it would leave ya sleeping with your labs but wouldn't that look good sliced!
Jimbo

I was thinking some day i should make that scotch egg fatty. That is something just begging to be made and would do me for breakfasts for a few days. I'm really sold on making my fatties out of italian sausage just to add MORE flavor, but with pickeld eggs too ...... oooh boy.

This is getting outta hand... I got home last night and the wife had poured the pepperoncini jar into a big jar of jalapenos (only a handful of slices left, but several cups of juice), and plans to boil up more eggs and add the pickle juice from empty jars. Boy, it ought to be getting real interesting around my place this weekend.
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky