Easy Beef Rib Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

retto

Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
I am going to try to smoke some beef ribs for the first time. I plan on using the 3-2-1 method at 225-250. I have looked around and tried to get an idea of what I am doing, but one question remains un answered. When I apply the rub on ribs, do I need to use mustard to get it to adhere to the meat? I do this on pork shoulders, but don't assume that it is the same with ribs. Can someone help?

Some use it and some don't so its up to you

You can do it either way. When I did my first beef ribs I just rubbed them lightly with no mustard. They came out great.

I use olive oil, then apply the rub. I don't bother with the 3-2-1 method with beef ribs. Just smoke them at 225 for 4 to 5 hours, spritzing if you want. I have done many racks of beef ribs and have always had them turn out very good that way.

Thanks for the input everyone. Hopefully I don't mess it up.

This is good advise. I dont foil anything. The purpose is to SMOKE things, thats why we do it.

Reek

I find mustard to be way too messy. Sometimes I rub dry, and sometimes lightly with Olive oil. Some of the ingredients in some rubs need some oil to dissolve them

I put mustard on one butt..... no mustard on another butt....... cooked side by side and I honestly couldn't tell any difference. I don't use the mustard. I use it to marinade chicken..... now that's good stuff.

Mustard to marinade chicken? Interesting.
I've only done ribs a good few handful of times due to their price and availability around here but I have never coated with mustard.
Seasoning, sometimes the night before sometimes not and they always come out fine.
Mustard marinade...
Hmmmm.....

I haven't applied mustard the last two times and they came out great. Extra flavor can't hurt either though.
biggrin.gif

herky - here's a method i've used with very good results.

i did brush a light coating of mustard on (this is optional, but i do prefer to do it) and then i sprinkled on durkee's kansas city steak seasoning.

41nZziS6qQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

if you can't find this in your area, you can probably make your own; this is basically a mixture of sea or kosher salt, cracked black pepper, granulated garlic and onion, crushed red pepper and maybe a couple other things that i can't identify - very simple and very good.

anyway, i tossed these on the smoker and cooked at no more than 250 degrees. i did spritz now and then with the following mop, which seemed to bring out the meaty flavor of the beef and also help with moisture:

1 cup dr. pepper
2/3 cup low sodium soy sauce (i would like to try no-sodium,, but it is unavailable here)
1/3 cup olive oil

if you try this, be sure to blend the mop before each use to emulsify the oil into the mop.

when the beef ribs were about 15 minutes from being "done," i brushed on a finishing glaze that i made with this recipe:

1/3 cup ketchup (catsup?)
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar

simmer on the stovetop at medium heat until the ingredients are dissolved and well-blended, then cover and let cool until it is time to brush it on.

i also brushed a bit of this glaze on just as the ribs were coming off.

here is a picture of the result:

2009-04-26_185818_26apr09_beef_back_ribs_ready.jpg

this was VERY good and the beef flavors seemed to come out very well.

p.s. - this should work just as well for short ribs or back ribs.....

Another purchaseable rub that I enjoy is ultimate hamburger seasoning. Happened upon it one day and coated a chuckie with it - it's my new go-to for beef roasts. Nice flavor, perfect accent for beef, without being over the top. I'll have to look at the maker / actual name, I think I got it at Sam's club.

I use evoo then run the meat. It works for me so far.

For me it just helps in the prep process of getting my generous layer of rub to adhere. Can't notice flavour at the end though, all other things being equal..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky