Easter Ham Question

Discussion in 'Pork' started by titelhouder, Mar 28, 2010.

1. titelhouder

titelhouder Newbie

Hello, being a newbie at smoking, is it possible to smoke a raw unbrined ham on my BBQ??

I have done ribs that turned out pretty well and chickens as well but wasnt sure if just using my broil king and some wood chips was getting in over my head lol

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Yes you can smoke a raw unsmoked ham but you need to brine/cure it if you want it to turn out like normal ham.

3. fire it up

fire it up Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Yup.
    Would still be tasty but not "hammy"

4. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Basically if you don't cure or brine it you won't get the ham flavor you will get a pork flavor like pulled pork etc.

5. titelhouder

titelhouder Newbie

Thanks for the help guys, looks like I am better to grab a precooked ham and let it smoke for a bit and work on a raw ham when i have the time to brine

6. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

First off we need you to stop into Roll Call and then sign up for the 5-day E-course. It's free and it will teach you the basics of smoking meat and other things. But you should probally go buy an already smoked ham for this one and then take the course and then you can tackle the smoked ham. It's really not that hard either.

7. titelhouder

titelhouder Newbie

Great Thanks I will do so. I have been poking around here for a bit in the background and I have found this is one of the friendlier forums on the net, and very imformative

8. titelhouder

titelhouder Newbie

Great thanks will do!! I have been poking around here for a bit in the background and I have found that this is one of the friendlier forums on the net as well as very informative