DUTCH'S GOURMET COWBOY GRAVY

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Jul 7, 2005
Midvale, UT
DUTCH'S GOURMET COWBOY GRAVY

Ingredients:
3 tbls melted butter or margarine
1/2 Medium Onion, chopped
2 tbls flour
1 12 ounce can Evaporated Milk, divided
1 4 ounce can mushrooms, drained and coarsely chopped
1/2 of Fattie, crumbled (use more or less to your liking)

Directions:
In a cast iron skillet, sautÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] chopped onion in butter until tender-4-5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook together until flour turns a light brown. Stir in half of the evaporated milk, cook and stir until everything thickens up. Stir in remaining milk, the mushrooms and the crumbled fattie. Continue to stir until mixture reaches the consistency that you like. Serve over biscuits or Country Fried Steak.

Hey Earl, I'm a New Englander, please enlighten me as to what "crumbled fatty" is. Out this-a-way that would be the overweight person who just took a flight of stairs ass over head n' shoulders. :-)

Joe, thanks for giving me my morning chuckle!! A fattie is the 1 pound chub of sausage (ie Jimmy Dean's) that has been smoked for approx. 3 hours at 225-250* turning once about halfway through the smoking time. Some folks like to roll 'em in a rub for extra flavor-some just toss 'em in naked. If you don't have a fattie on hand, you can use sausage that you've fried in the skillet. The smokey flavor of the fattie really adds to the gravy.

Dutch, I just had my 1st ever smoked fatty this morning. I'm doing some ribs and threw in a fatty to have for breakfast with some eggs and biscuits. I will never ever fry a Jimmy Dean sausage again. That was one of the most delicious breakfasts I have ever had. I am going to throw in another fatty later to save for either tomorrow or Monday morning to try your gravy recipe.
I am in Heaven right now, sir....have a great weekend!

A fatty,,,, now thats an unusual name for a sausage. I'm from northern New Jersey originally. Right near NYC and Italian is the predominant nationality. And they say we talk funny! LOL A fatty there would be the mother of the Italian girl you're dating. You would never marry her because she's gonna grow up to be just like mama. A fatty. LOL

brandx...too funny! I'm originally from Brooklyn and have been in Georgia for almost 20 years. I have come to love southern cuisine but I sure so miss hitting some of the pizza joints in NYC! My fav (next to a slice of that awesome pizza or a veal parmagian hero) is getting a brown paper sack full of zepoles doused with powdered sugar. My mouth waters whenever I think about them!

Now you're talkin about something as dear to me as smoke cooked food. Real pizza, with honest to goodness authentic pizza doe, not some kind of crappy bread doe. And a good calzone loaded with everything. The last time I held a bag of heavenly zepoles I was 18 years old. Now I'm 57. Thats way to long. They came from Pizza Town on Rt 46 in East Paterson, NJ. I spent some time at Naval Air Station Albany, Georgia way back when. I guess you do have to spend some time down there to get used to the cuisine. But for a Jersey boy from an Italian town them that catfish and hominy grits just didn't cut it. LOL I seemed to have hijacked Earls lesson on fattys here. Sorry bout that bud.

I hear ya brother. But yes, we need to stay on topic. Smoking meat is a passion of mine, but the minute I land in NYC this summer (going for a week in July) I'm headed straight to the nearest RayBarri's and I am going to gorge on pizza! Keep in touch man. It's good to swap stories and memories - especially when they deal with FOOD!

This ain't the first time I've had a topic hijacked- and I've been known to hijack a thread or two :twisted:!

Hey Dutch, thanks for the recipe. I smoked my first fattie yesterday, and tried your recipe this morning. The only thing I did to it was add a little sugar,and some salt and pepper. Very good! Thanks for breakfast! :)

Put on a new exhaust pipe and upgraded my hinges on the big water tank smoker today. Then I made this gravy and smoked some biscuits.
WOW. Fantastic doesn't come close. I did add rosemary, black pepper and garlic. I have garlic in absolutely everything I cook. I've included a pic of the gravy on the biscuits and hash browns. I had a pic of the beautiful biscuits, but the file somehow got corrupted. Thanks Dutch for a great recipe.

'Slinger-truth be known, I use fresh minced garlic in most meat dished too. I didn't include garlic in this recipe cuz not everyone loves garlic first thing in the morning. :P

Hey I don't mean to offend anyone here, that certainly is not my intention but I finally got around to doing up a couple of those Jimmy Dean sausages, AKA fatties in this forum. To tell you the truth I really wasn't that impressed and neither was the family. I should mention right here though that I make alot of my own sausage. A good friend of mine is the owner of The Sausage Source and his shop is located less then 4 miles from my house and I pretty much have a running tab for supplies there. While shopping at Walmart recently we saw those JD's on sale 2 for 4 dollars so I picked up a couple. Like I said before, I make alot of my own sausage and one of the main reasons why is I have total control of what goes into them. I grind my own pork and other meats and use my friends spices. To be perfectly honest guys at the low price for that Jimmy Dean pork sausage meat I myself really have to wonder just what is going into that package. I don't mean to offend anyone here and make any enemies but this is a forum so all opinions are to be respected ,correct? I do like the idea of smoking up a little loaf like that but from now on I think I will just grind and spice up my own.

I don't think you have to use JD sausage to make a fattie. That's just a national favorite. I also make my own sausage. But I have made fatties using cheap store bought sausage, and have had fabulous results. I made a batch for the men's breakfast at church a couple of months ago, and I'm still hearing about how great it was. Even from the old timers. And when I say old timers, I'm not talking about men Dutch's age, I'm talking ancient. Most of these guys grew up in these hills, smokin' meat and makin' shine as a means of survival. When they tell me my food is good, I know it's good.
Remember, anything you buy in a store is manufactured to appeal to the masses. Sometimes, some days, we just don't fit into this mass. So you improvise. If that means making your own sausage to your likin', then by all means.
Personally, I find store bought sausage to be a bit over seasoned. But I'll still buy it from time to time.

I feel just the opposite Gunslinger, I think most store boughts are underseasoned. I'm a spice lover though. to each his own. Like I said, the main reason is to have control over what meat is going into those casings.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky