Dry Cured Pepperoni

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Got a 10 lb chub of 90/10 GB today. Going to finish my dry fridge and do 5 lbs of dry cured pepperoni this week.

f116338c_DSC01357.jpg

Cool Rick...................................
icon14.gif

Joe

Getting a late start ...like tomorrow cuz i had some honey do's

My cure fridge is not done so this is going to be semi dry cured.

I'd love to hear what type of spices you put into it. I've made snack sticks once and they came out pretty good but they were missing some good deep spicy pepperoni flavor.

I'm getting it all together here.

Note to the new sausage makers.

I'm using cure #2 in my pepperoni which will require an R/H factor... (Relative Humidity) If you not 100% sure you can do this please do not.

However you can use cure #1 and smoke this as normal. This method will have an end result of semi dry found in the Rytek book page 373. Keep in mind his recipe still calls for an R/H area.

Here is my start. I added an extra item that Rytek does not, Maybe overlooked like allot of his recipes i have found.

Im doing 5 lbs batch. 4.5 lbs of 90/10 GB and ,5 lbs of med ground pork.  32mm hog casings because i cant find my protein lined pepperoni casings.....ERRRRR

0d9602b3_DSC01372.jpg

I'm going to cover all the containers, mix and stuff tomorrow.

Deviation

Mixing now.

Decided to to all beef 90/10

Got all my mix ready.

9d6a7106_DSC01374.jpg

Mixed and ready to stuff tomorrow.

5d0fd2f6_DSC01375.jpg

Here is the fresh whole fennel and anise

f4a22700_DSC01377.jpg

Got a 10 lb chub of 90/10 GB today. Going to finish my dry fridge and do 5 lbs of dry cured pepperoni this week.

f116338c_DSC01357.jpg

That's the same we'd carry in the meat department, 3 tubes to a case.  Toss a couple into the grinder hopper (commercial stand-up full size grinders had a hopper about 3' x 5') and slit open with your knife and remove the wrap and break up to let the air get to it (oxymyoglobin) for a few minutes for it to bloom, then grind once into trays!   Or, add to once-ground trim, mix and grind into trays!  Brings back the memories.  But, that is why I am so sold on the 1, 3 and 5 lb chubs; it's the best burger there is.

Getting the pork de boned and cubed for another item to mix and stuff up.
519afe05_DSC01378.jpg

Blade removed. Need to break out the stone to sharpen my knifes.
065ba01e_DSC01380.jpg

Cubed and now ready to rinse off. I rinse before and after to remove bone dust and slivers from de boning.
ae52c604_DSC01379.jpg

Cover and in the fridge, grind later today.
579074e3_DSC01382.jpg

Going 2 different ways with stuffing

4 natural hog and 3 fibrous.

Have to cover and fridge cuz my wife says i been good and taking me out for V-Day eats.

48391dab_DSC01384.jpg

3a7f1d21_DSC01385.jpg

Tomorrow they is beginning pepperoni's

Yummy! Just so I'm straight on this...the stuffed ones are the 90/10 beef and the chunked pork will be something else? How I love your posts!

Hope you have a great V day dinner!

Yes you are right.

The pork i have going for something else....Gotta keep it a secret ya know...HAHA

TY

And happy V-Day to you and everyone.

Had the pepperoni hanging this morning at room temp for 2 hours to cool some and dry the casings a little.

62105365_DSC01394.jpg

In the 6 rack with PID running at 125 until the casings are dry. Then bumping to 160 and 2 pucks of smoke. After the smoke they will go in the cure fridge with 70% R/H for 7 days.
(I probably dont need to add smoke because the pepp should pick up smoke from the well seasoned smoker)

5b1de1eb_DSC01395.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky