Dry Baby Backs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xzebra

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 9, 2013
Hello,

I have made some baby back ribs in my smoker using the much preferred method of 2-2-1 and they turned out a bit too dry for my liking.  Do you have any recommendations oh how to make this better?  I cooked them at 225 throughout the whole process.

FYI I did not brine them....but don't know if I need to or should have.  

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Did you put any liquid in when you foiled them?
You can try adjusting your times like a 2-2.5-.5, more time in the foil with some liquid and less time at the end should make them a lot moister.

Did you put any liquid in when you foiled them?
You can try adjusting your times like a 2-2.5-.5, more time in the foil with some liquid and less time at the end should make them a lot moister.
Thanks for your help S2K9K,

Yes, I put BBQ sauce on them when I foiled them.  I was also thinking of cutting down the time to .5 on the last step as I have seen many people doing this.

Not sure barbecue sauce would be considered liquid in this instance. I would try 1/4 cup apple juice. You can still use the barbecue sauce.

Not sure barbecue sauce would be considered liquid in this instance. I would try 1/4 cup apple juice. You can still use the barbecue sauce.
I use a couple of tablespoons, give or take, of bbq sauce and a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar and I always end up with about 3/8 cup of liquid when I take them out of the foil.

Remember size matters as much as cooking temperature, if the racks were on the small side 2-2-1 may be too much cook time.

When you foil. Add some dr pepper, coke ,apple juice, cranberry juice, or other juices you like. Seal the foil tight, The steam from the juice will moisten them

I am one of those that usually only goes 30 minutes for the last part.... depending on how done they got in the foil.....

yup, you need to add liquid. Apple juice is a good choice or any one mentioned above...
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky