Dried Beef (Cured & Smoked)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yo Bear, hope you're out there.... I've got mt rounds drying in the frig, getting ready to smoke tomorrow. I've also got some elk backstrap that they butterflied to 1/2 inch thick that I've cured for 3 days. Question is, at what point / temp should I add them to the smoker along with the rounds?

Thanks!
Phil
Sorry I didn't get this, but I think I got you on PM.

Bear

Need little help Please!

I am trying to do this beef and here is what I have;  #1 instacure  Kosher salt 5lb eye of round. I would like to do dry cure instead of wet. I been reading, and the more I read the more confused I get. Yes I do have Masterbuilt smoker Propane and electric.

Thanks in advance!
I don't do Cure #1, but if you want to use Instacure for Dry Cure, you have to find out how much to use & what to mix with it before rubbing it on, because the amount is so minimal by itself that it's hard to spread over the amount of meat it's supposed to cure. If you find that out, you can do everything else just like I did on this Smoke, or you could get some Tender Quick & follow the whole thing exactly.

Bear

I agree with Bear on this. I think if you must do the cure #1 " Instacure " it would be far easier to just whip up a gallon of Pop's brine and go from there.

I agree with Bear on this. I think if you must do the cure #1 " Instacure " it would be far easier to just whip up a gallon of Pop's brine and go from there.
Exactly!!

Bear

This looks awesome. Definitely will be trying this when I find a deal on some lean beef.
Thank You!!

That's Great !!!

The best Beef for this is Eye Round, Bottom Round, and Top Round. 

Trim off all fat. This is the only thing I ever trim all the fat off. Fat is no good in Dried Beef.

I have another Step by Step using Bottom Round.

I also have one using Venison Hind Quarters, and one using Venison Backstrap, which is every bit as good as Beef Dried Beef.

Bear

Reactions: fagesbp
Bear

Here is a link to my post; Smoked dried beef. It tunred out Great, following you Step By Step's     
points.gif

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/232609/smoked-dried-beef-on-the-mes#post_1446303

Thanks

Larry

Ready to slice:
http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Bearcarver_2009/media/DSCN0523.jpg.html

All sliced up. Two big bowls of thin sliced Dried Beef, and two bowls of Ends:

Bear, I know I'm late to the party )as usual) but at least I'm using the search engine rather than created 100 redundant threads!  LOL  

I loved your Sammie recipe.  i was thinking a BLT too.  Either way it looks great.

Would you mind telling me what model slicer you have there and if you recommend it?  I have an old Krug that a friend gave me that I believe I have beaten within an each of it's life and it may be time to replace.  I don't want to spend a few thousand on a slicer right now.  Yours looks pretty sturdy.  What's your opinion?

Bear, I know I'm late to the party )as usual) but at least I'm using the search engine rather than created 100 redundant threads!  LOL  

I loved your Sammie recipe.  i was thinking a BLT too.  Either way it looks great.

Would you mind telling me what model slicer you have there and if you recommend it?  I have an old Krug that a friend gave me that I believe I have beaten within an each of it's life and it may be time to replace.  I don't want to spend a few thousand on a slicer right now.  Yours looks pretty sturdy.  What's your opinion?
Thanks Rob!!

My slicer is actually my Son's, but it's one of the things we share from my end of the driveway to his end.

It is a Chef's Choice International #645.

It's a smaller blade than some, but I love it. It's built real well in my opinion.

Bear

Thanks Rob!!

My slicer is actually my Son's, but it's one of the things we share from my end of the driveway to his end.

It is a Chef's Choice International #645.

It's a smaller blade than some, but I love it. It's built real well in my opinion.

Bear
Thanks for getting back to me Bear though I never doubted you would. 

I was looking at the Chef's Choice International #615.  This one looks like a major step up.  For as much as I will be using it, it might be a good idea to wait till I have the extra money so I can buy the model you are showing here.

Chef's choice seems to have a good line of product.

Thanks again for your reply.

Will be trying your recipe tomorrow, Bear. Really looking forward to it. It was too windy to smoke today. Heavy rain this morning, and wind gusts at 40 mph. Even some power outages in the neighborhood. That isn't good when I'm using a MES30.

Will be trying your recipe tomorrow, Bear. Really looking forward to it. It was too windy to smoke today. Heavy rain this morning, and wind gusts at 40 mph. Even some power outages in the neighborhood. That isn't good when I'm using a MES30.
Sounds Great !!

Yup----That wasn't a good day for Smoking with a Watt-Burner.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky