Dove Season

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by bigal, Aug 29, 2007.

1. bigal

bigal Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Dove season in KS starts Sept. 1.

Better stock up on shells, bacon and jap peppers!

2. javajoe

javajoe Smoke Blower

Hey BigAl, I wit ya! Going to harvest me a few this weekend also. Ya know it's funny the Fish and Game say Harvest now. Make's the bunny huggers feel better I guess. Yes, gotta stock up on all the trimmings. Getting excited. Going down South to Niland. Should be about 107. Ouch!

3. ba_loko

ba_loko Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

It also starts here then too. I've got everything necessary, except a place to hunt, dangnabbit!!

Good luck on your hunt, Al.

4. bigal

bigal Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

107*?! Ouch is right Joe! Better head over here, should be in the 80's. Sit by the water tank and relax, get the smoker warmed up..............OOOOHHHHHHHHH thats right, it only takes us 15 min!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

LOKO, head out here too. I've got an extra lawn chair and plenty of places to drink.........er I mean hunt doves. [​IMG][​IMG]

How do you guys cook'em? I like take'n the breast, stick a slice of jap pepper between and wrap in bacon. Maybe a little salt and pepper, but that is is...........oh and garlic, gotta have garlic.

5. blackhawk19

blackhawk19 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Pray for a cold front to push them your way, I know that's what it takes down here to push the migratory birds our way

6. smokebuzz

smokebuzz Master of the Pit OTBS Member

WELL, i live in a Demacomy state that CAN'T hunt them, and it SUCKS.

Good luck to you all!

7. bbq bubba

bbq bubba Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Shoot em up Al, goose season open's here saturday so maybe we can trade a few bird's!![​IMG]

8. javajoe

javajoe Smoke Blower

I like to take a little Italian dressing with me. We throw them in a baggie with the dressing for our afternoon trip to this beach area. Then we sit them on a Jalepeno and wrap bacon around them, then off to the grill they go! Those ten go quick. If ya eat them by noon can ya go get ten more?[​IMG]

9. deer meat

deer meat Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

How do doves taste smokeed [​IMG]

10. javajoe

javajoe Smoke Blower

I'll know this weekend.

11. monty

monty Master of the Pit Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Hey, guys!

For some very interesting dove recipes got to:

http://www.thesportingchef.com/rc.asp

I listed this URL in the "Free Recipes Links" quite some time ago!

Check it out!

My property is loaded with Mourning Doves. No legal season.... [​IMG]

Cheers!

12. Time to move out of that state.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  13. pit 4 brains

pit 4 brains Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I let them rest in a ziplock for a few days up to a week. This will tenderize them quite a bit and you can slide the breast off the bone with your thumb. Then I take them and cure over night using the proper amount of Tenderquick. I use that because it's easier to measure out and use for smaller weights of meat IMHO. Then rinse, dry season and smoke to 145 in the biggest piece. They hold well refrigerated and make for a nice, soft, jerky like snack. Women and kids alike love the ones I make and even avid dove hunters don't believe they are breasts at first.

14. pit 4 brains

pit 4 brains Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Very well. I cure them, see above.. ^^