Do you like to use walnut in a stick burner?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

motolife313

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 27, 2016
ive got a nice little amount of walnut. Not sure it's black or not but smells very strong. I've used a couple pieces before but didn't taste much difference. Haven't used a lot of it yet. I wanna try it again on some chicken or something. What do you thing about it?

IMG_6177.JPG

The few times I've used it It's been bitter.Chicken would be the last thing to smoke with it.Most people stay away from it but those who use it do so sparingly and mix it with other mild woods.

Reactions: motolife313
Ok. I was just thinking about pulling a pork tenderlion out of the freezer and try that. It would be a short smoke so not much time wasted. I'm thinking I'll go 25% walnut and 75% cherry. I think the chicken wood be good idea tho so u can really tell the smoke flavor. Seems like the abt's take on smoke well to tell the woods apart too. I haven done much experimentation with woods but I want too. Last one I did was only cherry and it was good. Seemed mild. Usually I mix oak in.

I heard a pecan tree is a lot like a walnut so there similar

Oh ok. That's good, I've been wanting a more smokey flavor.

Probably the next to last wood on earth I would use, with coniferous woods being in last place. If you do end up using walnut, remove the bark and make certain the wood has been seasoned (dried) for at least a year or preferably longer

A wood turner would love to have that walnut.
+1. Those are killer for turning. You might be surprised how much you could get for those on CL.

Love working with walnut but ain't gonna ever use it on food. Same with stuff like osage orange/hedge apple, sassafras, and the like. Totally awesome in the fireplace tho.

Good idea zwiller. but I'm going to test the taste of it first

Have u ever used it radio?
I used some to season a new stick burner and put a couple cans of Spam in there during the second burn. It has a very acrid flavor to me. I wanted to try it as I have an over abundance of black walnut trees on my place. One of the big ones died in the drought of 2012, so I cut it down and gave the logs to a neighbor who has a portable sawmill. The rest I cut and stacked to season as I was hoping it would be ok for smoking. I ended up giving it away to another neighbor for firewood.

If you have a gas or electric smoker, small, well seasoned chunks with no bark might be ok. As a primary heat and smoking wood in a stick burner, I was not pleased

Reactions: motolife313
Hmm it's good. My self and my dad liked it a lot. I heard him saying hhmmm. Used about 25% walnut and 75% apple. kept it below 250. I'm not really getting much of any bitter flavor. Getting some spice from the red pepper flakes. Made some macaroni and it absorbed the smoke well. I'm going to keep using it for sure. I'll try and get up some pics

IMG_6704.JPG
Christmas lasers point on the house in the back ground a visible with smoke

Brought them up to 140, I wanna double check my gauges in boiling water
IMG_6716.JPG

I'd suggest splitting the walnut into kindling. It has great heat and burns with a blue flame, but as others have said, it's bitter and strong.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky