DIY A-Maze-N pellet smoker trey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoker919

Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
I was doing research on the a-maze-n pellet smoker and thought to myself "I could make that", and I did, cost me a grand total of $4. The material is a metal gutter guard which cost about $2.35 and some metal picture hanging wire(to twist and secure), about $1.45. Took about 30 mintutes to construct, no welding required, my DIY version in only 1 inch larger then the a-maze-n. Used it today to smoke a chicken on my MES30(master built electric smoker) and it worked like a charm, litteraly thin blue smoke the whole time. Perfect outcome on the chicken also. The trick with the masterbuilt is that you have to remove the chip loader tube completely to allow maximum flow, the Tray needs to come out as well. Give it a shot.

Reactions: grillard
I believe most gutter guard is galvanized. I wouldn't use that in a smoker. Galvanized material releases some nasty gases when subjected to heat.

Last edited:
Actually I think it may be aluminum. I have a couple in my gutters & I'm pretty sure they are aluminum.

Al

After doing a little research at the box store this morning. It comes in galvanized steel, aluminum, and PVC. Obviously the PVC isn't what you have. That leaves you with aluminum (OK) or galvanized (Not OK).

Last edited:
After doing a little research at the box store this morning. It comes in galvanized steel, aluminum, and PVC. Obviously the PVC isn't what you have. That leaves you with aluminum (OK) or galvanized (Not OK).

Really, which store did you go to?

How easy did it bent. Aluminum is way softer than zinc coated steel...JJ

Nothing personal but since Todd has patents on his products I don't think I'd make a copy of one and if I did I sure wouldn't start a thread titled DIY A-Maze-N smoker

Nothing personal but since Todd has patents on his products I don't think I'd make a copy of one and if I did I sure wouldn't start a thread titled DIY A-Maze-N smoker
I would hope he does BC it was a genius idea. But I'm not selling, just created my own version of his great idea.

im also doing this today to prepare for cold smoking my bacons, the "genuine" product here is £86 for what it actually is that's a total rip off.

I have some steel left over from making my charcoal box, all I have to do is make a template from paper to include wall height in the cut, and the separators

Patents are only if you're selling. And with patents, as long as the design is like 25% different it's okay. But again, there's nothing stopping you from making a copy for use in your own home.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

You do know that there is a US Patent on that design......Just saying

Nice job on your home made AMNPS--a great, well thought out build!! I don't see anything wrong with duplicating (copying) someone else's design for YOUR OWN USE ONLY as you have done.

Unfortunately I'm one of those handicapped guys with the design and fabrication skills of a Bull Moose. So I usually stick with buying the original. I have one of Todd's pellet trays and can't say enough nice things about it.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky