Dill Jerky batch 2 and other flavors w/qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rygr

Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Frankenmuth, MI
I started my second batch of dill jerky this morning. In my first batch, I used vinegar along with fresh dill. The vinegar overpowered the dill flavor, so this time I omitted the vinegar.

Here is my thread from the first batch.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ght=dill+jerky

I split this batch into two halves. Below is what I did for each half.

Dill Half 1

fresh dill
paprika
chipotle chili pepper
TQ

Dill Half 2
fresh dill
TQ

After curing in the TQ, i rinsed both halves with cold water to get rid of some of the saltiness. I then re-seasoned with the same ingredients.

Here is a picture as if sits in the smoker.

I am also doing a few other flavors of jerky

BBQ
Jeffs's bbq sauce
TQ

Creole/Sassy Bayou/Old Bay
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Tony Chachere's Creole Spice
Sassy Bayou
Old Bay spice
Worchestershire Sauce
TQ

Once again I did a cold rinse and then re-seasoned

Here is a picture of the smoker today

Finally, I am doing a sweet jerky today as well. I am running hickory wood in the smoker and didn't think that would go well with this sweet batch, so I threw this in the dehydrator.
Sweet Jerky
Brown Sugar
Cinnamon
Nutmeg

I will post some pictures when I am finished.

Looks awesome that for sure
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Can't wait to see the final product.

Bookmarked this page.

Well I had a temp spike in my smoker because I did some charcoal pan modifications recently and I didn't cut back enough charcoal. At least I know for next time. The jerky is a little tough, but still very edible.

Here are my thoughts and some pictures of the final product.

Dill jerky
Both halves tasted similar and I loved the taste of both. The dill flavor really came through nicely. I was thinking that the smoke would overpower it, but maybe I will start smoking dill to dry it out and use it in place of dill weed. I liked this better than with vinegar, but others might like the vinegar.

BBQ
This was very good as well. I was running out of the BBQ sauce and wanted to use it on some wings today. Next time I will just make up another batch instead of being lazy and stingy with the sauce.

Old Bay/Sassy Bayou/Tony Chachere
This batch was alright, I should have rinsed and soaked this batch a little longer because it ended up a little salty for my liking. Maybe I will use a different cure if I try at stab at this one again

Pictures of BBQ and Old Bay

Sweet
Well the original thought was to make this batch for my wife. However, I didn't expect to like this so much. It was really tasty. I may try to grind up some cloves next time too, but then again why change a good thing. Unfortunately for my wife, I should have made more
icon_mrgreen.gif

Thanks for looking.

Great to know that the sweet was pleasing. I've always wondered about those recipes with the sweeter seasonings, but have yet to try one that's similar. I might have to now...great job on the jerky.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky