Dill Jerky batch 2 and other flavors w/qview

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by rygr, Jan 2, 2010.

1. I started my second batch of dill jerky this morning. In my first batch, I used vinegar along with fresh dill. The vinegar overpowered the dill flavor, so this time I omitted the vinegar.

Here is my thread from the first batch.
    http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ght=dill+jerky

I split this batch into two halves. Below is what I did for each half.

Dill Half 1

fresh dill
    paprika
    chipotle chili pepper
    TQ

Dill Half 2
    fresh dill
    TQ

After curing in the TQ, i rinsed both halves with cold water to get rid of some of the saltiness. I then re-seasoned with the same ingredients.

Here is a picture as if sits in the smoker.

I am also doing a few other flavors of jerky

BBQ
    Jeffs's bbq sauce
    TQ

Creole/Sassy Bayou/Old Bay
    Onion Powder
    Garlic Powder
    Tony Chachere's Creole Spice
    Sassy Bayou
    Old Bay spice
    Worchestershire Sauce
    TQ

Once again I did a cold rinse and then re-seasoned

Here is a picture of the smoker today

Finally, I am doing a sweet jerky today as well. I am running hickory wood in the smoker and didn't think that would go well with this sweet batch, so I threw this in the dehydrator.
    Sweet Jerky
    Brown Sugar
    Cinnamon
    Nutmeg

I will post some pictures when I am finished.

2. meat hunter

meat hunter Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Looks awesome that for sure[​IMG]

Can't wait to see the final product.

Bookmarked this page.

3. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Jerky Looks Great...

4. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Looks great! I have an idear for some jerky in the UDS soon. I've worn out my nesco.

5. Well I had a temp spike in my smoker because I did some charcoal pan modifications recently and I didn't cut back enough charcoal. At least I know for next time. The jerky is a little tough, but still very edible.

Here are my thoughts and some pictures of the final product.

Dill jerky
    Both halves tasted similar and I loved the taste of both. The dill flavor really came through nicely. I was thinking that the smoke would overpower it, but maybe I will start smoking dill to dry it out and use it in place of dill weed. I liked this better than with vinegar, but others might like the vinegar.

BBQ
    This was very good as well. I was running out of the BBQ sauce and wanted to use it on some wings today. Next time I will just make up another batch instead of being lazy and stingy with the sauce.

Old Bay/Sassy Bayou/Tony Chachere
    This batch was alright, I should have rinsed and soaked this batch a little longer because it ended up a little salty for my liking. Maybe I will use a different cure if I try at stab at this one again

Pictures of BBQ and Old Bay

Sweet
    Well the original thought was to make this batch for my wife. However, I didn't expect to like this so much. It was really tasty. I may try to grind up some cloves next time too, but then again why change a good thing. Unfortunately for my wife, I should have made more [​IMG].

Thanks for looking.

6. meatball

meatball Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Great to know that the sweet was pleasing. I've always wondered about those recipes with the sweeter seasonings, but have yet to try one that's similar. I might have to now...great job on the jerky.

7. hoity toit

hoity toit Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

HEH, GREAT IDEA using the shish-ka-bob sticks.! I would have never thought of that ! [​IMG]

8. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks good. I have some goose I am making into jerky today.

9. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Looks real good...I need to try some new flavors unstead of the same old thing...

10. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks good. On my list

11. Looks good from here. I like the kabob sticks idea too.

12. hey RYGR i never would have thought to us dill weed for jerky, looks and sounds good i might have to try that sometime.[​IMG]

13. dougmays

dougmays Limited Mod Group Lead

Dill...very interesting idea!  Looks great!

thanks for sharing!

14. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

dill jerkey that sounds good I am going to have to try