Cuts of meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flowerlady

Original poster
Aug 17, 2014
I'm really new to all this and have been reading posts on sausages and checking out recipes on the net. Stopped at a butcher shop yesterday to see their prices. The lady said they had trim 60/40 . I asked what cut it was and she got mad at me. Turned me right off of that shop. I found out later from another butcher that trim is considered the lowest quality.

Trim is as good of meat as any other if it is done properly.

60/40 would be on the fatty side for sausage.

I like my sausage at 25 to 30% fat.

I usually just use the butt (top part of the pork shoulder).

Depending on how they trim them out, they are usually just about perfect for sausage the way I like it.

I think you need to talk to some different butchers!

Good luck and good smoking.

Last edited:
I find I like leaner so will try to get about 30%. The butte/ shoulder is what I had inquired about. Think I will check with my local grocery store meat department.

Flowerlady      , hello.  I have found excellent Butt at Sam's Club. decent price too!

If you have one near , or Costco , join , if not already. I love to shop at Sammy's .
biggrin.gif

Have fun and . . .

Trim is the worst thing for both burgers and sausage. The pork shoulder should give you the best cut to make your own sausage
Agree with Brisket Tip.  Most trim these days is low quality.  If you have an actual butcher you can trust then it would be fine BUT that's not the case most of the time especially 60/40....ugh that's fatty.  

Her getting mad at you is a telling sign to run away!!

Scott

There are many recipes out there that call for X pounds lean Pork and Y pounds Pork Trimmings. The service was crap at that shop but there is no need to scoff at Trimmings. Trim is useful and Cheap. A few guy's have posted that they can get Pork Loin cheaper than Butts or Picnic Shoulder. Here is the perfect situation where Trimmings would be ideal. I agree with all of you that the inherent 30% Fat in grinding a whole Butt or Picnic Shoulder is optimum but suggest Flowerlady keep an eye on Loin, Fresh Ham (uncured Leg) and Country Style Rib prices as well, that Trim may be a good deal and just what is needed...JJ

Last edited:
Exactly!

Trim is perfectly good meat. What much sausage and other ground meats are.

For a leaner cut, some trim that is fatty would be a good addition.

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky