Curious - newbies, what thread/post hooked you?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richtee

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 12, 2007
N. Oakland County, MI
What was the moment you decided..."OK...this place is for me!" Mine was the SmokieOkie Method- brisket searing.

For the Umteenth time... Thanks Okie!

Let us know!

Yep, Same for me.
PDT_Armataz_01_25.gif

For me it was the Q Views, and how they got the meat to that state of being tongue waggin'.

Hmm I see a pattern developing here ;{)
"Don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows!"
Dylan, "Subterranean Homesick Blues"

Rich, I like to click on a user's profile, then see what threads they have started.......there's a never ending supply of good old topics to check out.
biggrin.gif

For me it was how nice and polite every one is, especially to the new smokers like I was that had no real experience smoking. I have left other boards, woodworking not smoking, that had some real rude people, especially to the new guys that did not know to much

And I have heard the "nice and polite" thing alot too. Does my heart good to hear that, cause I know alot of folks try to be. Sometimes I do too. Well, sometimes i'm a #^$^*# but well, it's the human condition.

It's good to feel like if ya get into trouble...well, smoking/foodwise... someone here's got yer back. And Lord knows...look at me this AM!

I bought my smoker and decided to google how to's and recipies. Several came back to this forum, so I checked it out. After reading about ribs and pulled pork and the "normal stuff" I started seeing posts about ABT's, Fatty's and even smoked meatloaf, so I tried them all. After my first post and the great help I received I was (and am) hooked.

...what brought me here was not just a single post, but the wealth of knowledge that the folks had to offer. Everyone seemed to be happy to share, willing to help me out of a stupid mistake, and not be slammed because I didn't know better.

I have learned a ton here. I am very thankful for that and hope to continue to learn. It's pretty amazing that people you don't know have the kindness to make you look like a hero in your friends and family's eyes, and don't expect anything in return except a picture of your efforts.

There are a bunch of members I have to thank, that have offered me wonderful advice and I have become good friends with. Some are still here, some have moved on...

You know who you are...
icon_sad.gif
icon_wink.gif

Dumb luck... did a search for some sort of "Q" and found this, still not sure how to navigate a forum but seems like a lot of nice folks here!!

I had seen an ad about the 5 day ECourse and ordered it and really enjoyed it. Then saw references to this forum and did some lurking. When I saw how friendly everyone was and how willing to help us newbies I was hooked.

All I was looking for was a different way to smoke meat and clicked on SMF and waalaa I got the best site and GREAT PEOPLE and Fantastic advice and Ideas
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

It was a combination of things for me. I had lurked for a couple of months and read all the posts. I was impressed mostly by the prompt answers to the questions asked no matter how minor or major they were.

I also like the fact that everyone on here is so friendly to even the newbies and are so willing to share your knowledge.

And then of course, the Q-views and the recipes. I think that was what hooked me in the end.

I thank all that has helped me in the past and hope what little I have contributed has helped others...

Before coming here, I stumbled upon a food channel show with Chris as the host (Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in AL) and got to thinking I should try it since I love pulled pork.

So, I googled and came to this site. I decided to go inexpensive with the ECB and electric since I was looking for convenience to start with.

I registered when I saw the SMF was full of nice people willing to bend over backwards to help folks. I really just wanted to thank folks for their knowledge which has helped me produce some nice tasting Q. I hope to get better and expand my capabilities as time allows.

For me it was the help and answers I recieved in regards to doing my first large smoke for a big gathering of more than 60 people, and of course the q-view wasn't bad either.

It's like Hawg says,and Richtee it's people like you,RIP,cowgirl,big arm,debi,cajun-1,smokey,emtee-sheesh it's all of u people-sure you grin when a rookie asks a silly question,but your right there to give a helping hand.and that makes you & all the rest stand out to make this 1 heck of a wonderful site,I have learned alot here & hope I shared a little myself.makes me grin somtimes on how articulate u are too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky