Curing a Rub of Confusion?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kalua puaa, Jun 3, 2016.

1. kalua puaa

kalua puaa Newbie

Well I've been doing some searching on this forum as well as the internet on curing and rubs, and I'm afraid I'm more confused now...[​IMG]

So, is a "Rub" the same or a form of Curing, or are these two different things?

I was also looking at "Cold" smoking, so I have a question on this as well.

When you cold smoke something...is it already cooked, partially cooked or raw?

This cold smoking is what lead me to wonder about curing, as I read somewhere...(can't remember as all the info is becoming blurry) that if you cold smoke the product/meat should be cured first.

So if it is cured, isn't it still semi-raw?

Would I need to cook it further with heat?

I know the salt will preserve the meat...so is that similar to how lemon juice reacts on meat?

Maybe I'm analyzing too many things at the same time..[​IMG]

Also, I've decided to get a Masterbuilt 30 as my first smoker and will move on from there once I'm out of the State of Confusion and into the State of Smok'n!

I'm sure I'll get some answers as I play with it and see & touch the new toy!

If you've read this far, thank you for your time, and please advise if you know my confusion.

Aloha! [​IMG]

2. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

A rub and a cure a lot different. Cure makes things like ham and bacon. A rub just seasons meat to cook.

Cold smoke is used for cured uncooked meat.

3. kalua puaa

kalua puaa Newbie

So does that mean after cold smoking a cured uncooked meat, you need to cook it?

4. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Yes that is correct. It needs to be cooked.

Al

5. kalua puaa

kalua puaa Newbie

Thank you Al...you da Man!

6. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Yep, what they said.

You're going to love your MES 30--I know I sure do..  I would strongly advise you check out Bearcarver's posts regarding models of MES 30 to get and NOT get.  He's very well informed on the subject.

Gary

7. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    jasper7 likes this.
  8. Wow JJ I can't believe that lately every time I read one of your posts I learn something new.  I think I'd better check myself into a Holiday Inn Express if I want to keep up.  Point to you.

9. chef jimmyj

Thanks Jasper...We are here to help...JJ

10. kalua puaa

kalua puaa Newbie

Thank you JJ!

Great info, which I'm sure I can/will use once I start walking...I once did drive a NASCAR...well a retired NASCAR...it was loud, fast and smok'n hot!

Going to pull out my walker (smoke box) and start walking...

It's awesome that people like you with the knowledge are willing to help newbies like me.

I appreciate the time you took to respond to my questions...Thank you again! [​IMG]

11. kalua puaa

kalua puaa Newbie

Thank you Gary!

I'll do a search on his postings...I'll be picking it up this evening IF the rain stops!

12. chef jimmyj

Walker? [​IMG]  No Insult intended! It is not uncommon to get excited about a new hobby and dive so deep into the information that it becomes overwelming. This is especially true of an Art like smoking and curing meat. Ask," How long do I smoke a pork butt and at what temp? " And you will get 25 different answers as there are many ways to get a great result. Curing is the Art of Smoking Meat PLUS science combined. The big difference is, you don't smoke meat long enough and it's tough to chew...Don't Cure properly and you and your loved ones are hospitalized or worse. Hang around, read, ask lots of question and just like learning to drive, you will soon be in the Winners Circle...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]...JJ

13. gearjammer

gearjammer Master of the Pit

I know just how you feel about getting overwhelmed when starting out.

Just take it easy and slow at first, after a little while things start to come together.

The one thing that you always want to keep in mind is have FUN.

Chef JJ, thank you for very informative editing on the post.

I will be saving it on my hard drive.

Ed

14. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

JJ covered just about everything.

Cold smoking goes a bit deeper. There are many things that can be cold smoked that do not require the use of cure.

Cheese, butter, nuts, fruits, veggies all can be cold smoked without cure.

Since you are getting a MES you will need to do a few modifications to cold smoke.

Get your feet wet by hot smoking meats then read up on cold smoking and doing cured meat.

Are you in the islands or mainland? When I lived in Waimea my neighbor was always smoking wild goat. Good stuff!

15. kalua puaa

kalua puaa Newbie

Yup...I'm taking all the advice on getting my feet wet first before free diving for the Ulua!

Very good info here for me to digest and start off with...apparently my MES did not come in yet however, I did order a A-MAZE-N Pellet smoker 5x8...getting all my ducks in a row for the cook out, eventually I may get a mailbox too!

Nope, no longer living on the Island, after being born and raised there for 59yrs, my wife and I decided to move to Texas.

I never thought I'd get into something like this, as I'm more into cars & firearms...not smoking meat...maybe smoking some Pakalolo, but not meat.

However, this hobby is starting to pique my interest and hopefully it will take some cook time off from my wife.

Waimea huh...is that Waimea on the Big Island? That place is nice a cool...if the cost of living and the politics weren't so bad, we would have moved there...my mom was born there on Parker Ranch.

16. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Yes I lived there for several months. I have a friend who still lives there. I'd drive past Parker ranch twice a day to get into Halualoa where I was working.