Crazy question... Anyone ever have baby backs that were too meaty?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

worktogthr

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 3, 2013
Massapequa, NY (Long Island)
Hahah I know you might all think I'm nuts. I had cooked a whole mess of BBs a few weeks back and froze a rack that was leftover. This rack was not originally as tender as the others that I made probably because it was really thick and meaty. It probably needed more time. Well I froze it and knowing it needed more time, I foiled it with some apple juice and popped it in the oven. Bend test showed they were done and toothpick slid in really easy. However when eating them, they ate more like a pork chop or pork loin than a rib. They were tender, but not fatty, luscious rib tender. Consistency was more like a tender steak or chop. Maybe they had a thick layer of loin meat on top which lacks the fat which makes it juicy and tender. It was by no means bad, but disappointing because I was expecting my normal rib consistency. Anyone else experience this?

Last edited:
Hahah I know you might all think I'm nuts. I had cooked a whole mess of BBs a few weeks back and froze a rack that was leftover. This rack was not originally as tender as the others that I made probably because it was really thick and meaty. It probably needed more time. Well I froze it and knowing it needed more time, I foiled it with some apple juice and popped it in the oven. Bend test showed they were done and toothpick slid in really easy. However when eating them, they ate more like a pork chop or pork loin than a rib. They were tender, but not fatty, luscious rib tender. Consistency was more like a tender steak or chop. Maybe they had a thick layer of loin meat on top which lacks the fat which makes it juicy and tender. It was by no means bad, but disappointing because I was expecting my normal rib consistency. Anyone else experience this?
I agree with Foamheart. But to ansewer your post question i my book ther is no such thing as to meaty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not tryin to sound wierd
sausage.gif

I think the foamy one is correct in his assessment , but I hear ya on the different texture of different ribs. Baby backs are more delicate and the meatier ribs def have a different mouth feel or chew , if you will. I cooked some really meaty ribs a while back and I had a lot of leftover so I took a lot of that " pork choppy" meat , chunked it up and reheated it in bbq sauce and made sandwiches out of it. It was kind of like pulled pork.

Think you are all right.  The outside meat on the rib definitely  had the texture and fat content of pork loing.  Good idea about taking some of the leftovers and re-purposing the meat.  I powered through and ate them all hahaha.  They were so filling.  I feel like ate about 4 pork chops worth of meat eating a half rack of ribs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky