Coulotte versus New York Strip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

myownidaho

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 27, 2016
Southwest Idaho
This is for you folks that have access to the ubiquitous roast known as a "Tri-Tip". The Coulotte is nothing more than a Tri-Tip cut into steaks. If your market sells Tri-Tips, they will also carry Coulottes.

I've eaten a lot of Coulottes and New York Strips over the years...I mean a lot. I am here to forward the premise that dollar for dollar, the Coulotte is a better piece of meat. The NYS has a finer texture. The Coulotte has better flavor(all IMHO). Although tri-tip has become "discovered", hence there's been a significant price increase over the years, it's still substantially cheaper than the NYS. As a result, if you can only afford to buy Select grade New York's, you can also afford Choice grade Coulottes.

Case in point. Here in Idaho, I can get Prime New York Strips from the lower end of the Prime grade for $18.99 a pound. That's a lot of money for most folks, but compared to the SF Bay Area, that price is a substantial discount. Today I bought two Kobe Coulottes for the wife and I on sale for $16.99 a pound. I wish I had taken pictures but I ended up seasoning, grilling, and scarfing it down like a hyena on a rotting corpse in the hot Serengeti sun. It was sublime. This steak was as tender, and more flavorful than all but the best New York's I've eaten at a much higher price.

Just for the sake of discussion, please feel free to throw in your opinion, or do a side by side comparison and report back. Back when I was working in the fire service and working out a great deal, a couple of small Coulottes seared on the grill made for a great lunch for about five bucks. The comparable New York would have run about $8-9.

I'm not a butcher but I thought Tri tip was from the bottom of the sirloin and coulotte from the top. I think I have heard of Tri tip steaks being called Newport steaks in some areas. Of course as stated I thought and could be wrong. Nys are my fave steak cut. I'm not sure you got true Kobe beef as not much makes it to the country and I doubt it would be in any local stores,but again I could be wrong. And as:biggrin:long as you liked it who really cares?:biggrin:

I'm not a butcher but I thought Tri tip was from the bottom of the sirloin and coulotte from the top. I think I have heard of Tri tip steaks being called Newport steaks in some areas. Of course as stated I thought and could be wrong. Nys are my fave steak cut. I'm not sure you got true Kobe beef as not much makes it to the country and I doubt it would be in any local stores,but again I could be wrong. And as:biggrin:long as you liked it who really cares?:biggrin:

I've actually seen both. Quite often on the west end of the country a percentage of TTs are cut into steaks and labeled as Coulotte. It is worth investigation to see if that's the case here. Snake River Farms doesn't advertise this cut online, so it may be top sirloin only sold locally.

You are correct in that this isn't true Kobe beef from Japan. It's Wagyu that is packaged as "American Style Kobe". Right breed, wrong area of origin. Still, the price comparison with New York's(a favorite of mine as well) really gave me pause when it came to a quality comparison. If I'm going to splurge in the future, I will probably go with the Coulotte!

Last edited:
You are correct in saying that the Tri Tip and Coulotte are two different cuts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky