Costco all beef Polish Sausage smoked with mesquite... and Burnt Ends....

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by daveomak, Dec 8, 2015.

1. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

When you just haven't got any home made sausage to smoke....

They are cold out of the refer.... sooooo, I'm preheating the links so condensate does not form, and give them an acid rain flavor... that is an important step for all meats you smoke....

condensate will form on meats that are below the dew point.... since it's 41 deg. and the dew point is 39 with a 93% relative humidity, preheating is extra important.... at least I think it is...

.......They are preheating and drying in the MES 30....

I'm gonna give these about 1/4 cup of chips in the chip pan and look at the color.... mesquite is pretty powerful and can easily overpower the flavor of food...

Sooooo, this is a test.... should be about 30 minutes of smoke... will know more later......

I've got the smoker running about 160 ish with all the dampers wide open... these dogs are fully cooked so starting at 120 ish ??? I'm skipping that and going up to the final cooking temp...

I think next time about 1 hour of smoke will be better.... but, they are sure good....

Dave

2. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

They look tasty Dave ! Thumbs Up

3. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Chop them Up and make poor mans burnt ends! My sons favorite side dish to make!

4. daveomak

Could you describe what he does to make the burnt ends ?? Sounds good to me...

5. dirtsailor2003

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/223420/poor-mans-burnt-ends

I think the only thing I'd do differently would be to pre-cook the hot dog chunks in some butter in a pan to get a bit of carmelization and char.

6. daveomak

Done deal.... including the pre char...... Thanks.....

7. daveomak

Here we goooooooooo !!!!!

....saute to brown....

....added some pepper flakes and liquid smoke....

....and some Sweet BR's....

It's sitting on the desk as I type....

Almost gone..... I guess they are pretty good....

The heat from the pepper flakes, along with the sweet is nice... It is a really good 6:30 AM snack.... Bride complained
    about the smell from the kitchen... she didn't even complain about me COOKING in her kitchen... She's not awake yet...

dirtsailor2003 likes this.
  8. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That looks GOOD!

Nice work Dave!  Also, good call by the kiddo DS!

9. dirtsailor2003

Yumm! Now that's a breakfast of champions!

POINTS!!!!

10. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

You just brought back memories of being a kid.

Thumbs Up :drool

11. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Dang it man that looks good and now I am going to have to try this,,,,another trip to Costco I guess[​IMG]

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS