Cooking on both grate levels

Discussion in 'Mini-WSM' started by scrap, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Whole roaster chicken went on sale today for 88 cents/Lb! I see a spatchy in my future [​IMG]  I was thinking about picking up two. It would be the first time I have cooked on both grates in the mini. I only have two probes (one food and one smoker temp) Any advice for cooking on both levels? Should I bag it and stick to one? 

2. bdskelly

bdskelly Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

You can cook on both levels if your birds are not too large. Just make sure that there is enough open area on the grates for circulation.  I've never spatched  a chicken on the mini.  But have cut them in half and smoked on both grates with good success. b

3. jckdanls 07

jckdanls 07 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

I haven't spatchcocked on the mini.. but I have done 2 beer can chickens at once on the mini ... didn't have pictures of them actually down in the mini... but here's a couple after taking them out ...

4. Thanks for the advice! I have had them in the slaughterhouse brine overnight and just put them into the mini. One spatchy on each level with mostly apple and a chunk of hickory in with the charcoal. We shall see what comes out. The birds were a touch larger than I wanted. Each one weighed 8.4#. I guess I'll see how the mini handles almost 17# of chicken! 

Scrap

5. iggythump

iggythump Smoke Blower Group Lead

I was wondering if this were possible today while I was smoking ribs on my mini.  Did you just have the birds back to back on the lowest cooking rack? (Rhyme not intended)

6. jckdanls 07

jckdanls 07 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

I put em breast to breast... middle rack ... my heat comes up the sides so I put the backs in the main heat.. let me also say ... smaller chickens are better... 4-5 lbs ...

7. iggythump

Excellent.  I scored 2 all natural, no additive birds last night for $7 total, roughly 4.5 each.  Perfect for trying this out.  Thanks JD

8. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I do Spatched birds all the time in the Mini. Your lower grate will be warmer so I would monitor the temp of the pit there. I'dorobably also monitor that bird. When it its 165, probe the upper bird. If it's not ready pull the lower bird and continue to monitor the upper one until it's done. This is one of the only times I'll use more than the steamer insert as a diffuser. A solid diffuser will help even out the heat in the smoker.

9. iggythump

From my understanding, JD did both birds on the same rack so the temp monitoring should be easier.

10. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

He did two whole birds on the same rack. A spatched chicken takes up one whole rackin a mini, so you need to use two racks. The original poster asked about spatched birds.

11. iggythump

My apologies, I misunderstood the subject reference of the comment.