Cooking for the guys at work

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forddood

Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Georgia
So word got around that I'm the barbecue guy at work (far from it, just an amateur at home).  We have a big scrap metal bin that we cash in every so often, they turned it in last week and with the money I think the plan is for us to have a lunch with me cooking the meat.

Problem is, I've never cooked really for anyone other than myself and mine, and I've never really cooked anything in any significant volume.  I done a brisket overnight at my last job that got rave reviews, but that was like for four of us having to work on Labor Day.

I'm cooking for about ten people total this time around, and having a hard time figuring out what to do.  What specifically to cook, how much of it to cook, etc.

I've got an 18-1/2" WSM and a 26-3/4" Weber one touch Gold to work with.  I figure things like butts or a brisket, I should probably cook the night before at home and bring it in.  Chicken quarters, whole chickens, I dunno.  Suggestions?  I'm still a week or two away (at least that's what I'm gonna tell them) from doing this, just trying to get all my ducks in a row before we get there.

11 Men is no problem. I would go with Butts for Pulled Pork. Easy to make, even if something goes wrong, it will still be good, easy to reheat and maintain, "off the smoker" quality. And if you wish, I have some Killer Recipes that I will share. Here is the Math, figuring men eat big...JJ

11 Guys  X  10oz portions(2 Sandwiches)  =  110oz PP  /  .5 (Yield after cooking loss)  =  220oz Raw Butts  /  16  =  13.75Lbs to purchase. I would look for 2ea 7-8 Lb Butts.

2 rolls per  =  3 Packs of 8.

Sides, Coleslaw and Beans 4oz portion  X  11  = 44oz  /  16  =  2.75Lbs Purchased or Homemade..See Dutch's Wicked Beans. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/50945/dutchs-wicked-baked-beans

Smoke ahead and add the Finishing Sauce when reheating. Reheat in Crock Pots, on High until it starts to simmer then hold on Warm, or in Pans in the Oven, 325° to and IT of 170-180°F.

Being from Georgia, may I suggest the following. A Spicey Rub, Tangy Finishing Sauce and either a Sweet BBQ Sauce. Double each of the Recipes below...

Carolina Q Dust  

1/2C Sugar in the Raw (Turbinado)

2T Sweet Paprika (Hungarian)

1T Kosher Salt

1T Chili Powder 

1T Granulated Garlic

1T Granulated Onion

1T Mustard Powder

1T Grnd. Black Pepper

1T Grnd. White Pepper

1tsp Cayenne Pepper, or more as desired.

1tsp Grd. Cumin

1tsp Dry Thyme, rubbed

Makes about 1 Cup. This has some Heat from the the jar but mellows when Smoked. If too Hot, reduce the Black, White and Cayenne Pepper.

Apply your desired amount of Dust to the meat, wrap in plastic and rest in the refrigerator overnight.or longer. The day of the smoke, pull the meat out, add more Dust and go into your pre-heated Smoker...

Tangy Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

This is more of an Eastern North Carolina style Finishing Sauce...

2 C Apple Cider Vinegar

2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste

1/4C Brown Sugar

1T Smoked Paprika

2 tsp Granulated Garlic

2 tsp Granulated Onion

2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper

1 tsp Celery Salt

1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Red Pepper Flake. Add more if you like Heat.

1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Combine all and whisk well. This is a thin sauce, bring just to a simmer and remove from heat. Adjust sweetness by adding Brn Sugar or additional Vinegar as desired...Makes about 2 Cups.

For a Lexington Style Dip  add, 1/2C Ketchup and 1-3tsp Red Pepper Flakes...Forr a Tangy BBQ Sauce...

KC Bubba Q Juice

2C Ketchup

1/2C Brown Mustard (Gulden's)

1/4C Apple Cider Vinegar

1/2C Molasses

2C Dark Brn Sugar

1T Tomato Paste

1T Your Rub

1-2tsp Liquid Smoke

1tsp Worcestershire Sauce

Combine all and warm over low heat just until it starts to bubble. Simmer about 5 minutes, stirring very frequently, to combine flavors and to thicken slightly.

Use or pour into a sterile jar and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks.

Makes 3 1/2 Cups.

Last edited:
I would suggest either pulled pork or pulled beef. You can make the day before and put in a crock pot a few hours before you need to eat at work. You might want a finishing sauce with the PP to make sure it doesn't dry out.

I did pulled beef for a similar situation once, and it went great. I smoked chuck roasts and make Chef JJ's Au Jus, and put below the chuck roast during the smoke. When the roasts reached 205 degrees I removed and let rest and cool a while. Then I pulled the beef and combined it with the Au Jus (after cooling in the fridge and de-fatting) and put in the fridge. The next day I heated it up for a few hours in the crock pot and served with buns, cheese, horeradish, etc. and it was quite the hit! If you use a rub on the roasts go easy on the salt because the beef broth for the Au Jus is usually salty.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

You could also make some Deli Style Cole Slaw the day before. It goes great with pulled pork and gets better having been made the day before.

This is my favourite:

Kittencal's Deli Coleslaw

1 large cabbage (shredded or finely chopped)
1 small green bell pepper, sliced
2 green onions, chopped (or use sweet onion)
2 large carrots, peeled and shredded (hand-squeeze excess moisture out)
DRESSING
3/4 cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or use white salt to taste)
1 tablespoon brown sugar (or to taste)
1 1/2 teaspoons celery seeds
2 -3 tablespoons prepared mustard
1/2-1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup white sugar (can add up to 3/4 cup)
black pepper (optional)

Directions:

1 In a large bowl, mix the vegetables together.

2 Mix first 6 dressing ingredients together in a small saucepan; bring to a boil.

3 Remove from heat then immediately add in the oil and white sugar; mix to combine until the sugar is completely dissolved, then pour the hot mixture over the veggies.

4 Allow to sit out at room temperature for 1 hour stirring occasionally with a spoon.

5 Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours stirring occasionally, I just keep a spoon in the bowl and just mix every time I open the fridge.

6 Season with freshly ground black pepper (if desired) before serving.

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky