Cold smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I guess it depends on what you are going to be cold smoking. I have cold smoked cheese and bacon when its been in the teens outside and the smoker running around 40°f. I have purposely cold smoked meats and fish for flavor, keeping the smoker between 35°-38°f.

Ideally I have found that for most cold smoked items (cheese, bacon, nuts, etc..) keeping the Smoker temp around above 40°f and below 70° is best. It can be negative 50° outside and I can still cold smoke in the temp ranges mentioned.

Many folks have adapted cold smoking techniques that fits their situations.... Below is a link to describe "generally accepted" methods....
As with other things related to smoking meats etc.... what you like determines your final method, after hours of experimentation.... woods, temperatures etc. all play a role.... This is the best "general" description I have found... and worth passing on... Dave

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/meat-smoking/cold-smoking

Hi Dave,    At those temperatures how do we manage to send warm smoke up the chimney...I can't?

Hi, I think my biggest problem is that I'm reading so much info and taking in so many different ideas that the information is contradicting itself.  I had a wood chip supplier over here tell me that even cold smoking needs heat to induce the chimney to drawer.  If I have no heat being generated then I can't see how my smoke output will be at a warm temperature.   This by the way is using a cold smoke generator similar to Smoke Daddy Big Kahuna (I'm trying one out at the moment to see if I can keep my cheese temp below 25-30C).   Last week I was smoking my cheese and all was well until about 10mins before completion. The wind suddenly blew up and the smoke barrel caught fire and melted the cheese.  One thing I've learned since starting smoking is I haven't gain any definite knowledge and it seems the more I read the more the opinions differ.  Oscar

Hi, I think my biggest problem is that I'm reading so much info and taking in so many different ideas that the information is contradicting itself.  I had a wood chip supplier over here tell me that even cold smoking needs heat to induce the chimney to drawer.  If I have no heat being generated then I can't see how my smoke output will be at a warm temperature.   This by the way is using a cold smoke generator similar to Smoke Daddy Big Kahuna (I'm trying one out at the moment to see if I can keep my cheese temp below 25-30C).   Last week I was smoking my cheese and all was well until about 10mins before completion. The wind suddenly blew up and the smoke barrel caught fire and melted the cheese.  One thing I've learned since starting smoking is I haven't gain any definite knowledge and it seems the more I read the more the opinions differ.  Oscar
Oscar 

Like you I am a fairly newbie on here.When I first came on here I was over killed with the amount of info.I stepped back and read threw alot of info that got my interest.I had to realize and break out many comments that had or never will have anything to do with me or my type of Smoking.When I did research I started to notice which posters repeatedly gave good common sense advice and when they did comment study what they are saying.You have to get the basics down smoker control and food prep.It is your smoker and no two work the same only you can control it.This is why it is fun never a dull moment.

Dan

I think you're right Dan. But some of the conflicting info is rather important and unfortunately different ones are saying the complete opposite to each other.  These smoke generators such as Big Kahuna and others seem to belch out a lot of smoke, but it certainly isn't the thin wispy TBS that so many prefer.   I am becoming paranoid about creosote now.  With all the smoke being produced I wonder how long after the smoke exits the delivery pipe before the creosote falls and is no longer being carried in the smoke.  That is of course supposing that the creosote particles weigh heavier than the other good smoke elements and doesn't stay with them until smoke finally leaves the chimney.   I've been smoking for around two months now and so far have tried pellets in a pan...no go. I've a $40 x 12" smoking barrel being used directly in my main food chamber but it keeps catching fire when the wind blows up. I've also tried the barrel into my fire box and letting the smoke transfer to my food chamber, but it keeps going out after about 25mins.   So now I've got the smoke generator and all the queries stated above re too much creosote etc.  Things can only get better.  Des

I think you're right Dan. But some of the conflicting info is rather important and unfortunately different ones are saying the complete opposite to each other.  These smoke generators such as Big Kahuna and others seem to belch out a lot of smoke, but it certainly isn't the thin wispy TBS that so many prefer.   I am becoming paranoid about creosote now.  With all the smoke being produced I wonder how long after the smoke exits the delivery pipe before the creosote falls and is no longer being carried in the smoke.  That is of course supposing that the creosote particles weigh heavier than the other good smoke elements and doesn't stay with them until smoke finally leaves the chimney.   I've been smoking for around two months now and so far have tried pellets in a pan...no go. I've a $40 x 12" smoking barrel being used directly in my main food chamber but it keeps catching fire when the wind blows up. I've also tried the barrel into my fire box and letting the smoke transfer to my food chamber, but it keeps going out after about 25mins.   So now I've got the smoke generator and all the queries stated above re too much creosote etc.  Things can only get better.  Des
Can you post some pics of your smoker? also what area do you live in? Climate and altitude will make alot of difference in what advice you get or use.There are some people on here that can help you out.Give it a try you will be smoking great stuff in no time.

Dan 

Hi, Yes I'll try to take some photos tomorrow. I live in Queensland Australia in the Great Dividing Range, which is around 1400' above sea level.  Des

Oscar, morning..... By definition, a chimney will "draw" without heat.... It draws from the pressure differential at the different "elevations" or "altitude" at the ends of the chimney......
If the temperature outside is 80 degrees and you want to smoke at 70 degrees, it won't work..... make sense....
I start my electric smoker to start a draft... light the AMNPS... turn off the electric and the draft continues with a little raise in temp from the AMNPS... In this situation, a small amount of heat IS necessary to continue the draft.....

Last edited:
Oscar,

Dave's procedure is how I do my cheese as well, except I normally do my cheese in my propane smoker so the initial heat fire up is very quick, to minimize the heat build up.  I have noticed that

the heat from the AMNPS generates just enough heat to raise the chamber temp about 10 degrees,  but I feel that is pretty relative to the location of the AMNPS.  If you use the mail box mod then I'd expect the temp of the chamber to be almost the outside temp.

Are you happy with your AMNPS Dan? I ordered the 5"x8" yesterday. Hopefully itr will do the job. As for draft...it seems as soon as there's a slight breeze the chimney kicks into action.  I thought the passing air current at the end of the chimney dragged the smoke out of the chamber. I'll need to read up on the behavior of smoke extraction etc.

And to top off my errors I just called you Dan. Start of my day Dave and haven't kickewd into top gear yet.  Oscar

Hi, Yes I've smoked cheese very successfully with a smokin pellet barrel, but I was at the mercy of gusty winds the third time I smoked. I'm hoping the AMNPS will work well in an offset fire box (similar to the letter box I suppose) to keep the chamber temp as low as I can.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky