Cold Smoked Ice Cream

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 3, 2009
Central NY
On a bet I'm smoking some vanilla ice cream this morning. I'm really not sure if it will take on any smoke or not, but I know I'll win the bet.
icon_wink.gif

I built a new cardboard smoker with a side fire box and 4" tube to the smoke chamber. The brown char-broil box is just a stand to hold the smoke chamber above the fire box. the tube is feed thru it to the smoker
382395529.jpg

Built a fire with 2 briquet's and some maple sticks;
382395519.jpg

with some trial and error I got it running nice and cold, but then again it's only 10° outside. The warmest the smoke chamber got to so far is 25°;
382395603.jpg

Here's the ice cream sitting on a cold piece of steel wrapped in Aluminum foil;
382395525.jpg

Nothing to do now but watch and wait. It's been almost an hour now and will probably go one more.

The TBS;
382397385.jpg

Thanks for checking it out, I'll let ya know later how it turns out.

Reactions: Winterrider
one of the oddest and coolest things I have seen smoked on SMF,

points for orginality
points.gif

Hey,
points.gif
for even trying this! Hope it takes some flavor. Don't think it's my cup of tea, but let me know how it tastes.

You got
points.gif
from me too! What a wierd and strange idea to try so I hope it comes out good so I can try it too.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

What flavor are you using? Something with nuts in it maybe?

Hard to pick one reason for giving you points. There's too many!
points.gif
Between smoking in the bitter cold, smoking ice cream and the smoker build they all justify points IMO.

And here I thought that fried ice cream was off the wall but this one is soooo out there man you need pills dan. JK
points.gif
for even thinking of it and then really tring it too.

Yup, hes finally done it folks, he went over the deep end, into a dark deep smoking abyss LOL. This is what happens when you use insta cure instead of sugar in your morning coffee
biggrin.gif

Dan, I'd give ya points for thinking outside the box on this one, but you used a box, so I can't.

How about points for the most unique smoke I've seen since I've been on here
points.gif
Lets see them Southern boys do this in their 50 degree winter weather LOL.

p.s. I am going to try this without the family knowing and see what they think when they try it.

Hmm smoked ice cream
points.gif

My friends accuse me of smoking anything and everything. But I can't wait to tell them about this.

Definitely outside the box... ( No Pun Intended)...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

What I like is he's getting 2 for the price of 1 !! He's using the box the smoker CAME in ! for cold smoking Love it good job

That is by far the strangest thing I have seen in a smoker. I think you been standing out in the cold a little too long. Points for trying. How did it taste?????

points.gif

OK, sorry for the delay, got caught up in an Ice fishing derby and a Syracuse game.
It did take the smoke flavor but not a lot of color. When it was in the smoker and a little soft it was a weird combination with the cold vanilla and maple smoke but pretty tasty. after placing in the freezer for a couple hours to freeze back up it seems a little harsher in flavor. I'm hoping it's like cheese and might mellow out with some time in the cooler.
Would I do it again ? probably not. But I'll have to see if it mellows out and if so with a little homemade maple syrup it just might be heaven.
Thanks everyone for the points and comments, I like experimenting with stuff and this one was worth a couple free beers, which made it all worth while.

Kinsda sounds like the Great Trout Ice Cream Debacle on Iron Chefs...
icon_mrgreen.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky