Chuckie (Step by Step) with Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
This turned out to be my best Chuckie yet, so I figured I'd do some "Splainin'"
Got a 3 pound, 6 ounce Chuck Roast.
Coated it with "Thick" Wooshy Sauce, then rubbed it good with McCormicks BBQ Rub (wife doesn't like it too spicy).

Wrapped it in plastic wrap & into the fridge over night.

6:45 AM---Preheat MES 30 to 240˚.
8:30 AM---Put meat in smoker, Fill A-MAZE-N-SMOKER with Apple Dust, lit on both ends and put it in smoker.
12:30 PM---Sterilize Meat probe with alcohol wipe and insert probe in meat & other probe in smoker. (Meat at 152˚ at 4 hours)
2:25 PM---Chuckie at 165˚ internal---Double wrap in aluminum foil, add mixture of 2 oz of Wooshy & 4 oz of Apple juice, and put back in smoker.
3:45 PM---Chuckie at 205˚ internal---Cut temp setting back to 100˚, but leave Chuckie in smoker, instead of putting in cooler.
4:50 PM---Kill power to smoker, remove Chuckie from smoker (had dropped back to190˚ internal temp).
Take pictures, pull Chuckie apart, add wife's taters, and eat.

Note: This was done with a small 6" X 6" Amazing Smoker, so when I say I lit both ends, that was to get about as much smoke as when I light one end of my 5 X 8 AMNPS.

Stopped smoking when foiled, after 6 hours.
Went from 165˚ to 205˚ in only 75 minutes, due to foiling.
This was my first Chuckie that did not stall.

Everything great!

Still have some for sammies next day & enough for 2 sammies tonight.

Thanks,

Bear

Enjoy the Qview:

Click on any picture for closer look:

Ready to rub:
58eee99a_DSC01490.jpg

Rubbed and wrapped for over night rest:
d63c4fe3_DSC01493.jpg

Nice smoke:
6c569748_DSC01498.jpg

Chuckie fresh out of smoker:
3965cdd1_DSC01509.jpg

Closer look:
8dd2cc7b_DSC01510.jpg

All pulled for Sammies:
03bde490_DSC01514.jpg

Supper (Sammie #1):
70037cef_DSC01516.jpg

Closer look:
dc886235_DSC01518.jpg

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Yummmmmm!!!! I haven't done a chuckie yet, but when I do I'm going to follow your guidelines! Thanks for sharing your valuable info and great Q-view!

Looking good Bear. Nice tutorial. I  choose another flavor as I can not stand the taste of Whooshy sauce but this is pretty much how I do mine too. Last one was with some Mexican seasonings. There is nothing like a chuckie taste wise - 

icon_cool.gif

Well your chuckie looks good and all. You made yourself one maybe two good looking sammies. Now for the kicker did you have to make the bugs a sammie too......... lol

Man... that looks really good Bear! Will have to give that a try.... been a while since I have done a chucky.

Thank you all for the real nice comments. That's the bonus I get, along with the good food.

I hope my posts make it easier for some.

Mark,

No sammies for the stink bugs.

I'm trying to starve them out!
PDT_Armataz_01_19.gif

Won't be long they'll turn into Stinkcycles here in good ole PA.

Two of my favorite things about PA in the Winter--No snakes & No bugs!
icon_mrgreen.gif

Thanks,

Bear

Reactions: bigbaddodge
Great looking smoke Bear. I thought I was smelling something real good this afternoon. Nice job !
That's funny you should say that:

My son lives about 200 yards away, down the driveway, through the woods. He pulled in my driveway, when I was on the front porch checking the smoker. He got out of his truck laughing. He said he was working on his deck, and he smelled smoke. He said he thought somebody was burning something. Then he thought, "Damn that smells really good". Then he thought, "The old man must be smoking something again!" Dropped his screw-gun, and up to my house he comes!

I gave him & his wife some. He always gives me a good portion of his Pulled Pork.

Thanks,

Bear

nice job bear, i love me some chuckie! .....haven't seen the thick L&P need to get some!

Bear, nice job on the beef.  I need to do a Chucky.  Thanks for the post, that just boosted beef sales, in which I have stock in.  (the pantry)

Nicely done Bear!  The one chuck roast I have tried didn't turn out so well and I'm not sure where I went wrong but this post will surely help me "get back on that horse" and give it another try!

Mac

nice job bear, i love me some chuckie! .....haven't seen the thick L&P need to get some!
Thanks Rob,

The only thing I didn't like about the old stuff was "Too thin"---This stuff is perfect!

Bear

Bear, nice job on the beef.  I need to do a Chucky.  Thanks for the post, that just boosted beef sales, in which I have stock in.  (the pantry)
Thanks Nick

Nicely done Bear!  The one chuck roast I have tried didn't turn out so well and I'm not sure where I went wrong but this post will surely help me "get back on that horse" and give it another try!

Mac
Thanks Mac,
This was the best & easiest Chuckie I have done.

That looks so good, I've got to try a chuckie soon!  And like Squirrel, I'm gonna bookmark your great Qview for directions and inspiration!  
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

That's a smart boy you got there, he knows when to come check on what the old man's up to! LOL 
icon_mrgreen.gif

Curse you Bear (but in a manly sort of way
biggrin.gif
).  SWMBO was looking over my shoulder as I was viewing your QView and said "Now that looks good!!".  So, now I have a chuckie thawing, for tomorrow.  I'm thinking that a certain Red Bell Pepper Rub might just be the ticket.  I'll give a review of that combo but almost anything goes well with Beef.  Well, off to the store to get some kaiser rolls.

Never done a chuckie before but a first time for everything. Looking at the pics, wife and I do our shopping on Sunday and not going to be ascared and give it a whirl.Hope it comes out as well as as all Ive seen. Will let ya know. Thanks for sharing, Im inspired, again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky