Chuck Roll with a twist!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meowey

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 16, 2006
Northern NY (Adirondacks)
Hey Folks,

Meowey here. I have been rather busy until today. I have been reading the forums regularly, and was impressed by BBQBubbaâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s chuck roll smoke. Being as I have not any experience with chuck rolls, I did a little googling to pick up some information.

Today, I found that our Price Chopper market about 7 miles away has whole chuck rolls if you ask. That beats a 100 mile round trip to the closest Samâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Club, so I got a 17 pounder at $2.99 a lb. I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know what price Samâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s has, but I doubt that it would have saved me the $20 extra I would have spent on gas. (Even if I got a bunch of other stuff to make the trip worthwhile.)

I am using the following recipe.

http://getyourgrillon.net/2008/03/11/chuck-roll-a-new-twist-on-an-old-favorite/

As suggested in the above article, I cut it in 4 pieces, and seasoned it with Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning (Recipe found at this link http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...&postcount=172 ). My younger son figured that was a way to get more seasoning and smoke to more of the meat. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m smoking with red oak scraps that the aforementioned son brought to me from his construction job. (They had been laying a red oak floor.)

Rubbed and waiting to go on.
chuck_roll_08_09_08_001.jpg

Just before going into the roaster for braising.
chuck_roll_08_09_08_002.jpg

I started this at 3:30 PM, figuring it would be in the oven all night. I will post q-view of the finished product, as well as a picture plate tomorrow.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Meowey,
I saw the same post and been throwin around the roll idea myself. Sounds like you got a heck of a start, keep us posted on the outcome.

Well I'm back.

The chuck went into the roaster with the braising liquid and stuff (2 cans of beef broth, 1 packet Good Seasons Italian dressing mix, 1 packet Lipton Onion Soup mix, and a jar of pepperoncinis) at about 9PM at 245°F. When I got up this morning at 6AM, the house smelled very beefy.

Here is the pan coming out of the oven.
chuck_roll_08_09_08_003.jpg

Here it is, falling apart on the cutting board.
chuck_roll_08_09_08_004.jpg

Pan of pulled beef! (Beef! It's what's for breakfast!)
chuck_roll_08_09_08_005.jpg

Picture Plate! I served it "French Dip" style with cheese melted over the top. (The peppers are under the cheese.) Wicked Beans and slaw completed the feast! The jus was the de-fatted braising liquid.
chuck_roll_08_09_08_006.jpg

I have been told by the food jury that this must be done again! My only tweak would be to start with reduced sodium broth (or make my own), as the salt in the rub added to the salt in the broth and the jus was just a little too salty. Overall self-grade is A-.

Regards,

Meowey

Looks and sounds Great. Gonna keep this one in mind. Been really to hot around here to enjoy a good smoke. ( as I'm devouring a fattie) might not be any left by the time my wife gets home. She'll have to settle for just ribs.

Nice, I just picked up some chuck also.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Looks great. I think you did good on the meat. I got chuck from Costco and I dont think it was any cheaper. I just foiled mine with some liquid. I like your idea of a roasting pan. You could even throw some veggies in there. I love pulled beef sandwiches. Thanks for the qview!

Good stuff. Was the smoke flavor prevalent, or could you easily do this next time in the oven the whole time? Sounds great. I did something like that last year and it was incredible. I know you ate well!

It had been smoked for about 6 hours. Knowing that I was going to braise it, I tried to keep the Thin Blue going continuously. On most longer smokes, I let the smoke fade away completely before I add another chunk to the firebox.

You could taste the smoke, along with all the other flavors. They "played well together". You could do this completely in the oven, and I'm sure it would taste great. (If I was to do this in the oven, I would brown all sides of the meat before I added the braising ingredients. There is also much flavor to be gained from the Maillard reaction.)

Thanks for the comments.

Regards,

Meowey

meowey is that just chuck roast cut up in chunks? Also you said your juic was too salty are ya talking about the juices that you cooked them in whe you put in the oven? It looks great and I am going to have to try this. The familly will luv in i can done tell
biggrin.gif
.. At what temp did ya pull it off the smoker? Thanks abunch....

It started as a 17 pound whole "chuck roll" that I cut into 4 chunks. (Google "chuck roll" if you are interested.) The finished pan juices that I de-fatted and used for the "au jus" was a bit too salty. The next time I do this. I will probably used reduced sodium broth and/or use half the amount of salt in the rub. I pulled it off the smoker when it reached 160°F (about 6 hours).

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Meowey

That qview makes my teeth in their cup chatter like crazy want'n to bite into it!

The chuck roll is the forward extention of the rib eye - the large end of the rib is the start of the chuck, going forward to the neck, and it's seamed out from the chuck as the 'center' of the chuck roast. I buy them as steaks all the time (chuck eye steaks) at WalMart or Albertson's; very tender, excellent grilled, around 3.98 - 4.59 lb. At 2.99 a lb. for the roll, you got a great deal! You can take a whole one and just slice it up into 1-1 1/2" steaks and grill them too..even my choppers can git thru them easily! Or, tie it up into a couple roasts and roast them inside or outside (of course, outside's better!). Or, just like you did, smoke them for pulled beef.
A little sauce, some heaps of horseradish and you're in cattle grazin' country!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky