chicken quaters failed.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

glued2it

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Tulsa
A couple of weeks ago I smoked some game hens.
225 for a couple of hours or so, They were beautiful!

However last night I decided to do some chicken quaters(1lb a piece).
after checking the forums I read 225 for 2hrs but 350 if you want crispy skin.
well I started at 225 for about an hour and then bumped it up to 350.
first thing is all the skin shrank off exposing most of the meat. so turned it back down. they still took about 3hrs to cook.

I don't know what happened. I use two thermometers one for each end of the smoker. (25 degree difference from one side to the other) So I can only assume the thermometers are correct.

At least they were not dry. The smoke taste was a little overwelming due to the exposed meat.

first you don't suceed smoke and smoke again right?

So what do you guys think I should do next time?

Hey! We all have few problems from time to time! We call them learing experiences.

So, it would be very helpful if you posted the type of equipment you are using, the type of wood you are using and whether or not you brined the chicken.

A good way to keep us all in the loop is to visit the "User CP" and develop a signature that tells us what type of equipment you have in each post!

Cheers!

When cooking most meat, chicken included, you should cook to a certain internal temperature not for a specified time. The times listed are approximate not exact. There are so many variables such as smoker temp, outside temp, wind, etc. that affect cooking time. Poultry should be cooked to 165-170 degrees at the thickest part of the bird.

My take. I do no usually do a long smoke on chicken. I do quarters and bone in breasts mostly. Occassionally whole birds. I have and ECB and use it without the water pan when I do chicken. I marinate overnight with Kens Italian Dressing. I discard the marinade and usually make sure to reserve some fresh dressing to baste with. I pull/stretch the skin and can either tuck it or pin it with a tooth pick. I use a mix of apple and cherry chips in a smoker box. I run 300 -325 on temp using lump charcoal. Start once the is some smoke rising from the unit. Bone side down and baste/flip every 1/2 hour. Usually takes me 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending on the amount and size of the meat. I pull at 165 interanl temp and then put in foil tent for 20 min. Usually have pretty good luck this way and the skin is usually edible and pretty tasty and smoke taste is not overpowering. If your unit is 25 or more degrees of from side to side there is no rule against rotating the the meat side to side occassionally to keep it cooking even. Just my take on things. Keep trying and I am sure others are going to keep chiming in to help. Thats the great thing about this group of folks. Again only my humble opinion...LOL

Best of luck

Charles

I brined the game hens for about 4hrs./ but they were a little hammy. Someked with apple.

I didn't brine the quaters. Smoked with pecan.

I have a little char-briol off set smoker. Cheap pice of junk but it seems to get the job done.

Cheap pice of junk but it seems to get the job done.

If u have heat in the bottom, and smoke out the top, and the food Q'es in the middle, and it tastes good, it ain't junk---just inexpensive..

I usually do 10 lbs of leg quarters. Takes around 5 hours, but my wife wants them done. Around 200 to 225 for temps. I don't concern myself with the skin, its not good for me anyway.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky