Chicken of the Sea?

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by richoso1, Nov 18, 2007.

1. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I must give part of the credit for this dish to Gypsyseagod, he threw it up as a thought, and I grabbed it an ran with it.
    I took a whole chicken and cut it into (8) parts and brined it in a pre-mixed shrimp & crab boil and sea salt. I then let them sit in the fridge overnight. Once I took them out of the fridge, I seasoned with just salt and pepper. I wanted to do a control taste test, so I kept it simple. Remember, I don’t have the luxury of smoking at this time, so I put them in a preheated O***N at 350º for 35 minutes. I then removed all of the chicken parts and finished them off on the grill. Results were as follows:
    Straight-up brined chick parts did take on the shrimp and crab boil flavoring, but not in an over powering way. The combined taste of the chicken and this brine makes for a compatible pairing. I will use it again
    [​IMG]

2. meowey

meowey Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Sounds and looks great! I've got to remember this!

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

3. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Hmmm Interesting! I use Old Bay quite often on roasted chicken.. Similar?

4. pescadero

pescadero Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Jeeeezzzz Rich. . . You must have really been hungry !! [​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't resist. [​IMG] It actually looks and sounds great. Pictures sure make it look good.

Skip

5. rip

rip Smoking Fanatic

Oh great like I don't have enough to try already. But I will be trying this one for sure. Man it ain't easy being new on this site, so many recipes and so little time. LOL

6. ron50

ron50 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

NY
    Some right tasty looking vittles you got there.

7. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

Looks good hon! To bad you can't smoke right now but you will soon!