Checkin' in from SC

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

racingstudebakers

Fire Starter
Original poster
Hi Y'all...

Just typed a 7 paragraph intro and it got vaporized here somehow.......

Anyway, quick synopsis of what got vaporized...

I'm retired military, granddad and dad smoked meat in smokers they built back then. I've had/used the old "garbage can" charcoal smokers. I just bought a new "BBQ Grillworks" gas smoker. It's a great unit, I did a little review in the reviews section.

I'm not an expert and am looking forward to many great meals, because of the information gleaned from y'all here! This an awesome place to get one hell of a fine, smokin' education!

Thanks a million in advance y'all!

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Welcome to the SMF
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Welcome Sonny, It is nice to have you on the forum. I hope you will feel free to share your adventures, ask questions, and draw from the knowledge posted here by some mighty friendly folks.

Welcome Sonny. It's amazing the knowledge that resides here in this small little corner of the net.

Lots of friendly knowledgeable people and great food. Enjoy your stay.

Welcome Again Studebacker -

Retired military huh? Which branch? Navy Here. As you might expect we have alot of former military here so you feel at home. Good Q in S.C. Tasted my first Q there in 73 been searching for the perfect Q ever since.

After using the water type smokers the vertical gassers feel like they smoke themselves. Thanks for postig a review. This is a fairly new smoker but has made quite a showing here lately.

If you have any questions, comments or want to share some ideas jump right in - we're here for you!

Wow! Now THAT'S what I call a warm, smoky welcome! Thanks for the welcome y'all, makes a fella feel like he's found a great bunch! I really appreciate that. Honestly, reminds me of the Studebaker crowd, they're pretty friendly and helpful too. In fact, If I can return the favor by helpin' ya with your Studebaker, please just lemme know!
wink.gif

Hey Debi!

I'm became a Marine in '69, then flew for the Air Force and Uncle Sugar. I engineered the Herky Bird, a number of variants. Glad to find a number of military here too!

Yepper, bbq is a religion here in SC. I finally had to break down and git religion!
icon_smile.gif
I've been to a number of parties and get-togethers, all had awesome bbq, but there's not too many folks still smoking meat, (at least not many that I know). I plan on changing that. I did a few chickens and already there's a bunch of folks beating me about the head and shoulders, with their orders for a smoked this and a smoked that! I've told 'em where I bought my smoker, THAT is how I'm gonna "fix" that problem!
icon_smile.gif

Yeah, those old water-type smokers were OK, but they really require a lot of attendance, (not bad if ya have time to just sit for hours), something that's a premium these days. I work 5 days a week, and you know how it is after work, lots of chores, so the gas smoker was the best pick for me. You're right, the thing almost does it all itself. I don't mind applying my favorite fixin's though.
wink.gif

The Grillworks smoker is a nice unit, and I'm sure that we're gonna be seein' a lot more of/about them here. The great thing is that they're available at Lowes, real reasonable price, good construction, work pretty good, which just might translate into a LOT more folks taking up the art! THAT would be the bomb!

Once again, I really appreciate the warm welcome that I got. I feel like I can find any/all help, easily, for anything I need during my smoking endeavors.

Oh! Not that it's any big deal, but it's Studebaker Deb!
wink.gif
What model Stude did ya learn to drive on? I have a '60 Lark on the road and am putting together a '60 Lark race car, and a '50 Bulletnose, (installing an original supercharged, '57 Golden Hawk engine and drivetrain in it)

Semper Fi!

Welcome aboard RacingStudebakers!

So, looking at your name, can I safely assume you are an antique car nut/enthusiast as I am?
icon_mrgreen.gif

Live in Summerville, 20 Miles south of Columbia places you almost in O'berg,

I bought the Vertical Grillworks smoker from Lowes this spring, Is this the style you Have??

Nudging up the throttles seems to be required to get it to 220-240, takes almost an hour to settle it in, Then it stays there, wind and all.

Mike

I'm in Swansea. Yep, bought the exact, same smoker, over in Lexington, only mine has 4 shelves. Mine gets up to temp quick, gotta play a bit with the temp knob, (veeery gently up/down), then it holds it's temp setting, pretty much rock steady.

How do you handle/adjust for that massive, cast iron chip pan? I'm gonna go thinner stainless.

Racin,

I'm on the road again, I left ya a message about our smokers in another post. The one you started with I think.

I left some comments about that anchor we are supposed to call a smoke box. Please look it up and give me a comment/advice back on what ya think. I don't have time on the road to search and reply to the correct thread otherwise I would be very specific.

In DC Gettin hammered by another storm, yesterdays storm lit an apartment complex on fire and left 16 person out in the cold, + 3 other structures, all hit and fires started by lightning. Going through it again right now.

Mike

Mike

Howdy there RacingStudebakers from next door over here in NE Georgia!...

Welcome to SMF!...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
It's a Mighty Fine place to be!

Great Folks, Great Food, Tons of info, and more fun than you can shake a rib bone at!

Welcome Aboard...Glad to have you here with us!

Until Later...

Hey Coley!

Thanks for the welcome. In fact, thanks again to all those others who've checked in later! Mebbe we can get a bunch of us together some day, something like the recent gathering that I missed, for us SE fellas! What a party!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky