Check out my thighs!

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by xjcamaro, Dec 5, 2011.

1. xjcamaro

xjcamaro Meat Mopper

Sorry, im sure some of you were hoping to see a picture of me in a speedo, but, its chicken thighs instead. My wife is pregnant and she said to me the other day, im craving your smoked chicken. So i didnt argue with that! I mixed up my brine, soaked a bunch of thighs and threw them in the smoker. I did 10 thighs (had my parents over too) soaked them in my poultry brine over night, consisting of water, vinegar, salt, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, cajun seasoning, and brown sugar. Pulled them out and rinsed them off real quick. Sprinkled some grille mates poultry rub under the skin and on the outside. Fired up the smoke with some hickory and tossed those puppies in there for about 2 1/2 hours, thats what it took to get them up to 165*+. I ran the smoker at about 250*. I also spritzed them with apple juice a couple times.These have to be the best chicken peices that ive ever done. I adjusted my brine recipe a little by adding in the vinegar and thyme. Also when i put these in the smoker i put them in with the skin face down, i think that held all the juices in. These things were so juicy and there was not that much liquid in my drip pan, and with 10 peices in there i figured there would be quite a bit, but it all ended up staying in the chicken. Best Ones Yet!

Get ready to drool!

10 thighs ready!

[​IMG]

In the brine for a overnight bath

[​IMG]

Rinsed, Dried, and Rubbed Down

[​IMG]

Into the smoker

[​IMG]

2 1/2 Hours Later, Ready For The Table!

[​IMG]

Thanks guys!

2. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

They look perfectly done!

Nice job!

3. sunman76

sunman76 Master of the Pit

looks good [​IMG]

4. frosty

frosty Master of the Pit

It looks like the wife was well treated.  Great looking, and you can really see the beauty of those. GOOD JOB!!!

5. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Nice job!...I have used some Vinegar in Poultry Brine for years, really makes good bird...JJ

6. ecto1

ecto1 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Looks good to me.  Now I want BBQ Chicken!!

7. kryinggame

kryinggame Smoking Fanatic

Congrats!

I notice you have aluminium foil in your smoker. Doesn't that block the smoke from getting into your food?

8. xjcamaro

xjcamaro Meat Mopper

Not at all, there is plenty of room around the foil tray for heat and smoke to get around. No lack of heat or smoke. The tray is just to keep the droppings from hitting my tray that holds the wood and getting burned on.

9. looks awesome

10. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks like you done good. I would hit a plate of those for sure 

11. owlcreeksmoker4

owlcreeksmoker4 Smoking Fanatic Group Lead

delicious looking! great job

12. mikeythai

mikeythai Smoke Blower

Those are some tasty lookin pieces. I like the sound of that tangy brine, too! [​IMG]

13. xjcamaro

xjcamaro Meat Mopper

The brine although sounds tangy, really isnt. I think its the combination of everything that calms down the cajun seasoning and vinegar.

14. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Great thighs XJ [​IMG]

Glad you didn't post the speedo [​IMG]

15. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks like a great smoke meal

16. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Skin side down ?????   I'm up for trying that idea out... Great tip....   Dave

17. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Now thats a smart man that keeps the pregant wife happy. The thighes look pretty good to.

18. xjcamaro

xjcamaro Meat Mopper

I can post them if you want!

And Dave, i dont know what made me think to put them skin side down but it came out for the better, definately held the juices in.

19. ugaboz

ugaboz Smoking Fanatic

nice

20. ugaboz

ugaboz Smoking Fanatic

nice