Check out my thighs!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xjcamaro

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Western PA
Sorry, im sure some of you were hoping to see a picture of me in a speedo, but, its chicken thighs instead. My wife is pregnant and she said to me the other day, im craving your smoked chicken. So i didnt argue with that! I mixed up my brine, soaked a bunch of thighs and threw them in the smoker. I did 10 thighs (had my parents over too) soaked them in my poultry brine over night, consisting of water, vinegar, salt, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, cajun seasoning, and brown sugar. Pulled them out and rinsed them off real quick. Sprinkled some grille mates poultry rub under the skin and on the outside. Fired up the smoke with some hickory and tossed those puppies in there for about 2 1/2 hours, thats what it took to get them up to 165*+. I ran the smoker at about 250*. I also spritzed them with apple juice a couple times.These have to be the best chicken peices that ive ever done. I adjusted my brine recipe a little by adding in the vinegar and thyme. Also when i put these in the smoker i put them in with the skin face down, i think that held all the juices in. These things were so juicy and there was not that much liquid in my drip pan, and with 10 peices in there i figured there would be quite a bit, but it all ended up staying in the chicken. Best Ones Yet!

Get ready to drool!

10 thighs ready!

e8211c1e_thighs.jpg

In the brine for a overnight bath

95f1c745_brine.jpg

Rinsed, Dried, and Rubbed Down

d9a93663_rubbed.jpg

Into the smoker

70e37502_insmoke.jpg

2 1/2 Hours Later, Ready For The Table!

1ded3302_done.jpg

Thanks guys!

Nice job!...I have used some Vinegar in Poultry Brine for years, really makes good bird...JJ

Congrats!

I notice you have aluminium foil in your smoker. Doesn't that block the smoke from getting into your food?
Not at all, there is plenty of room around the foil tray for heat and smoke to get around. No lack of heat or smoke. The tray is just to keep the droppings from hitting my tray that holds the wood and getting burned on.

Looks like you done good. I would hit a plate of those for sure 

The brine although sounds tangy, really isnt. I think its the combination of everything that calms down the cajun seasoning and vinegar.

icon_cool.gif

Now thats a smart man that keeps the pregant wife happy. The thighes look pretty good to.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky