cheap dimmer circuit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dlwalsh

Original poster
Nov 27, 2014
Get a 1500 watt dimmer and wire it to a 20 amp 120 VAC outlet.

Plug the dimmer part into a live outlet and the smoker into the wired outlet.

Use the dimmer to control the power to the smoker.

Not all dimmers can handle 1500 watts. Check it out first.

A router speed controller can also be used.

Or on ebay, high power voltage controllers are cheap.

dcarch

True not all dimners cannot handle 1500watts.
I stated to use a 1500 watt dimmer which can be found on line. Please read carefully next time and thanks for your response.

True not all dimners cannot handle 1500watts.
I stated to use a 1500 watt dimmer which can be found on line. Please read carefully next time and thanks for your response.
Sorry if you feel that I was trying to insult you. Not what I was trying to do.

For a forum with 50,000 members, all suggestions for high power electric work should be done carefully, such as 120VAC is not a world wide standard, and not everyone is as knowledgeable as you are in electrical work.

Typically a wall dimmer is about 600 watts, a 1500 watt dimmer is very expensive. 

I am not sure it is that clear regarding your instructions, at least not to me. A typical wall outlet has no space in it to install a dimmer. You will need to rip out the existing outlet to install a bigger junction box and repair the wall afterwards..

Your wiring diagram is not clear. Some dimmers have two wires and some with three.

That's why I suggest getting a router speed controller instead. Plug and play, inexpensive as well.

dcarch

That works fine. I would put a male plug on one end and a female on the other with the controler inside of a junction box. That way you can use it on other things besides a smoker. Since you have spent the money for a 1500 watt dimmer it might as well be universal.

I see this is your first post.

When you get a chance will you drop by roll call so everyone can give you a proper SMF welcome?

Happy smoken.

David

Last edited:

That works fine. I would put a male pug on one end and a female on the other with the controler inside of a junction box. That way you can use it on other things besides a smoker. Since you have spent the money for a 1500 watt dimmer it might as well be universal.

I see this is your first post.

When you get a chance will you drop by roll call so everyone can give you a proper SMF welcome?

Happy smoken.

David
x2

That works fine. I would put a male plug on one end and a female on the other with the controler inside of a junction box. That way you can use it on other things besides a smoker. Since you have spent the money for a 1500 watt dimmer it might as well be universal.

-------------------------------

Happy smoken.

David
A very good idea. As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I did.

I got a voltage regulator on ebay. Depending on wattage, they are from $3.00 to $10.00. 

The one I bought is 240VAC, 4,000 watts. You can use a 240V one to control 120VAC, but not the other way around.

A high wattage voltage controller has many uses. A light dimmer, a motor speed controller (not for induction motors).

Almost all electrical heating cooking devices cannot actually vary their temperature. They are either full on or full off to vary the temperature.

A voltage controller can allow your heating devices operating at very low temperature. If you have an electric pressure cooker, crock pot, slow cooker, etc. You can have them run at very very low heat.

dcarch

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky