chargriller super pro ????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 19, 2008
Near salt city NY
As best I can tell the CG super pro and smokin' pro are the same EXCEPT the opening for the side fire box is a "knock out" type thing that looks very well attatched. I've only heard about one person that tried to add the SFB to the super , and said they had a tough time getting that cut-out ,out.
Any one here actually do one ? My neighbor has a super and wants me to help him install the SFB , Any tips ? If it turns out fairly easy I will probably be doing the same thing for myself. No smokin' pros avail localy , but the super and fire box are.

Phil

Yes Phil, I had to knock mine out, it really wasnt that hard although I have the "older style CG" where the legs come up right into the barrel. I had to take the side shelve off and I think I took the lid off. I believe I used a hammer and piece of wood???? My directions were pretty good. The fella that had a hard time with the knock out I believe had used his as a grill for quite some time before adding the SFB. You can see the spot welded tabs from inside the main chamber. That is where I concentrated on.

Hope this helps.

HHmmm , spot welded tabs too , them dirty little .... My neighbor has been using his for a couple of years , so I guess some cleansing will be in order. Mayby a grinder to thin those spot welds may help. Thanks
icon_smile.gif

Phil

I done the same as chargrilled. I used a 2lb engineers hammer and a metal chisel right on the welds. Popped straight out. It makes a fair bit of noise but sounds worse than it is. When you bolt the firebox on apply a bead of high temp sealant.

What a peice of cake !!!!! Haven't done my neighbors yet , but went out and got mine yesterday
icon_smile.gif
Super easy when new , stood the bottom 1/2 on end , cut a 2x6 to fit inside and one wack with a hammer and screwdriver for each little tack weld moving the board for each one. No distortion at all like I was worried about.
Didn't find any hi-temp sealant , and just went ahead and put it together so I could fire it up and at least give everything a good burn-off. I'm guessing a fireplace / woodstove caulk would be in order ?
Any ways , back to distilling the tons of info here on the mods and adjustments I want to do before I start cooking on it. Hopefully by this weekend.

Phil

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky