CharGriller Outlaw Smokes Pork Butt

Discussion in 'Pork' started by 5oclocksomewher, May 16, 2014.

1. Well here we go. I've got a 8.5 lb pork butt preparing to go on the smoker. I'm seasoning it now and smoking in the morning.

It's seasoned with about a dozen seasonings and wrapped until the morning.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  2. Ok got my fire going and off to the races at 6:15am.

3. lemans

lemans Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That piece of metal on the grate, near the fire box.. Does that work to eliminate the hot spot?

4. About an hour into smoke. Just sprayed it down with some apple juice. Put the potatoes on for the potato salad. Smoking 285-300.

American Goldfinch enjoying a morning meal.

As well as the fish.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  5. Oh Ya. Even 300 degrees across the grate. I bought the baffle from
    Ernie at www.kickassbbqsouth.com

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  6. About 1&1/2 hours in, and I added I lit chimney of lump and 2 mini splits peach wood.

Buster is in his usual place.

7. 2 hours in. Hit with some more apple juice.

8. jarjarchef

jarjarchef Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looking good.

Is Buster your official BBQ guard? I have an Aussie who is always next to me when we do BBQ. Just added another dog we rescued from my stepson. We shall see if he is a BBQ puppy. He loves to eat, so I am thinking we will be ok......

Your fire basket looks great. Mine for my old outlaw was made out of scraps we had at the shop. Not pretty, but it did its job.

9. Oh yes. Buster watches for uninvited guests. Actually, he'll jump on them, knock them down, and lick them to no end. Good luck with the new pup. They really are mans best friend with no strings attached.

10. lemans

lemans Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

You paid $1.79 lb? Here in nj I paid $3.49!!!!

11. 3 hours into smoke. I threw on some eggs for the potato salad (and a few extra for a snack). I added another lit chimney of Royal Oak lump and some more peach mini splits. Cruising around 300 degrees. Internal temp is 135.

12. Ya that was a nice sale. I'm kicking myself for not buying more and freezing them.

13. 1/2 hour smoke on eggs. Time to make potato salad. Yum!!!

14. Five hours in and IT is 170. Still cooking around 300.

15. After 5 1/2 hours it's stalling at 170. Wrapped. Kicked heat up to 325 for a while.

16. 7 hours.........205!!! Now the hard part is to let this rest without digging in!!!

17. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That looks awesome, can't wait to see pics of it pulled .... Nice job ! Thumbs Up

18. jarjarchef

jarjarchef Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks great.

At 300 degrees that sounds about right.

19. joopster

joopster Smoking Fanatic

Yum!

20. Thanks for all the nice comments. I'm going to cover and let it rest for about 2 hours before pulling.