Charcuterie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mnfred

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Brooklyn Center, MN
Has anyone tried any of the recipes in the book Charcuterie - The Craft of Salting, Smoking and Curing by Ruhlman & Polcyn? If so how did you feel about the results you got? Would you recommend either the recipe or the book in general? Thanks.

I would recommend the book in general.

Have had mixed results on the recipe front, but I think it was just a matter of personal preference on my part and nothing with the actual recipes.

The more you read the more you learn but remember practice makes perfect after reading ..

I know Polcyn, I cook with his cousin on the fine dining side of the industry. I also have the book. Very good. Like all books it has many good parts and a few things I don't agree with. You wont waste your money if you buy it.

Mine arrived all the way from the Amazon yesterday! I spent the evening reading it cover to cover. As most books of this type, I see where there is much there I want to try, and some I won't. I can't see how it's a bad choice to have in the collection, though!

It looks like another one for the building collection indeed. Thanks.

I have this book and have tested a lot of the recepies. some are great yet some I tweeked to my taste. I did the copa a while back. Im not a fan of cubing the meat and then curing, I had my doubts. The flavor was great however when sliced it fell appart. Maybe I should have dried it past the recomendations or maybe meat glue would have helped? Also , check out the book The art of charcuterie by john kowski. Great book.  

Like all books it has issues, some serious, but for the most part, it's okay.
That coppa recipe should never have been put in the book, it's not what most folks know as coppa.
I've also tried many of the recipe, some are okay, some not so great, I don't like the Italian sausage one bit with the added vinegar.

~Martin

I have this curing in the cabinet. I will try to attach pics. Cabinet is a wine chiller that is holding. 50-55 and humidistat is set to 60%.

Question is this, I have one coppa hanging. (Ruhlman recipe)I am starting to see a tiny bit of white mold. Not overly concerned because I can always vinegar it away but because this is my first cured meat in the chamber I want feedback. Am I ok here? The mold is just barely starting and is a little fluffier that I expected.
Your polite opinions are welcome!!!
I have made many pounds of other stuff in the basement or in umai bags. This is the first straight up cabinet coppa I'm trying.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky