Catfish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

burntsugars

Original poster
Sep 7, 2016
Can I smoke catfish for a short time to get that smoke flavor then bread and deep fry?

I don't know but you've got me interested!  I like grilled fish, but I'm not a fan of smoked fish.  I've only had catfish breaded and fried, but a smoke flavor on the fish prior to frying sounds intriguing.  I'ts gotta be worth a try.

Mike

I think it would be worth a try.

Maybe try cold smoking them for a couple of hours, then frying them.

Al

I smoke most my catfish now. I cut it in small chunks like I'm going to fry it. Then just load up the mes and smoke until done. I personally like it better than fried. We fill 2 freezers a year with catfish so I eat a lot if it. Smoking is my go to method anymore

Grilled Cajun (seasoned) catfish is my favorite fish! (They have this at Cheddar's restaurant - BTW - and they do a tremendous job).

Grilled catfish is my second fave fish.

I have never smoked it before because grilled is awesome...please do report back.

Reactions: grnhd
Back years ago when I lived in Longview, there was a BBQ place that did Smoked Catfish. Man was it good.
He told me he fried it first than put it on the smoker,

Gary

Reactions: grnhd
Now there is an idea, fry it then smoke it.
Cajun, duh, never crossed my mind. That's how I'm gonna do mine today.

That place is long since gone, but when it was there I was one of his best smoked catfish customers. Didn't care for his BBQ but the Catfish was great

Gary

outback32 , do you use the same smoker for fish and other meat. Juess I asking will the fish tast or smell carry over to other things cooked after the fish

outback32 , do you use the same smoker for fish and other meat. Juess I asking will the fish tast or smell carry over to other things cooked after the fish
Some say it affects other smokes.

However one Fall I did 8 straight full MES 30 smokers of Smoked Salmon, and never tasted any fish in any of my following Meat Smokes.

All I did was wash the grill racks after each smoke (like I always do), and change the foil on my water pan & floor.

Bear

Reactions: tktplz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky