Catering Gig with Brisket, Dutch's Beans and More - Lot's of Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the dude abides

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 12, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
A friend of mine's daughter had her first communion yesterday.  He and his wife asked if I would do the cooking.  How could I say no to that.  My biggest challenge was that my smoker isn't really big enough to handle cooking for a crowd.  That and with the 3:00pm start time I wanted to make sure there were no delays on my end.  So I cooked a brisket and a bone-in butt on Saturday, and did the beans and sausages on Sunday.  Everything timed out exactly perfect.  I arrived at their house with the food a half an hour before the start of the party.

On with the show...

Here's the brisket.  A 9 pounder of USDA Prime with almost no fat

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I did an injection with the following plus a little worchetshire sauce

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

For the rub I used Weber Chicago Steak Seasoning.  It was ok, not much of the flavor came through in the end.

ry%3D400

On the WSM over a butt on the lower grate

ry%3D400

The WSM was a hero!  Ran a steady 220*-230* for 11 hours on an 18lb load of Cowboy lump adding a chunk of white oak every couple of hours.  I put the brisket on at 9:30am.  At 7:30 the brisket hit 170*.  Since I was serving the next day (and with the advice of some fellow SMF friends) I foiled with some beef broth and put it in the fridge overnight.  I had to cut it in half to fit into a pan.

ry%3D400

The next morning I put the foiled pan into the oven until it reached 190*.  That took 4 hours.  I let it rest for a half hour then started slicing.  I had to do it in the oven since I was using the smoker for the beans and sausages.

ry%3D400

Had a decent little ring

ry%3D400

I also did a double batch of Dutch's Baked Beans.  Those were a first for me.  I did leave out the heat since there were a lot of kids and some grandparents.  They were a hit.  Thanks Dutch!

ry%3D400

I also made a butt and some sausages.  I'll post the butt in the pork area.

ry%3D400

I ended up with 2 pans of brisket, 2 pans of beans, 1 pan of sausages and a big crock pot filled with pulled pork.  I tried to sneak a couple of quick pics at the start of party.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I even had a couple of people ask me about catering for future parties!

Thanks for looking.

Here's the link to the butt cook

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/fo...-more-for-a-party-plenty-of-qview#post_626711

Boy Jay you really put out some good looking food for the party. Now I'm thinking your gonna be doing this more often. Your a natural at the catering thing. Everything you cooked looks delicious. I'm thinking "Dude's Catering" is in the future! Of course a bigger smoker is on the horizon as well.

Great job Jay!!! Congrats on a smashing success!

That's  a good looking smoke and I agree with the others about needing a larger smoker. 
Looks-Great.gif

Duder, you are getting this Smoking bug bad.You need to be thinking of a bigger Smoker;maybe something like this:

6c308d6d_Betty003.jpg

I did my Son's wedding and had 40#of Brisket andButts-80#.We fed 150people and a Motorcycle Club.Was a blast.Son almost didn't remember to say I do(crazy drunk-I did the first time,then they got old hat
police2.gif

Have fun and,

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky