Carmel Banana Pie...takes 5 hours...

Discussion in 'Desserts' started by roller, Nov 20, 2011.

1. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

This pie is real good but takes 5 hours to make it. The reason is you make your Carmel with Bordens Condense Milk and you have to submerge the can of condense milk in boiling water and boil for 4 hours until it turns to carmel. You do not open the can you just submerge it in boiling water for a total of 4 hours..

5 to 6 Bananas

I can Bordens Condense Milk

I Grahm cracker pie shell

Cool whip

Boil the condense milk for 4 hours then remove from water and let cool completely

Slice the bananas into a bowl and mix in the Carmel you just made

Put contents into the pie shell

Cover the pie with Cool Whip

Place the pie into the frig for 1 hr and let it set up

Slice and enjoy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

This sounds Good but the YAWYE Police [​IMG]  would give me a Beatin'...JJ

3. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

So would your trainer !!!! 

Roller looks great - copied it into the recipe book - Thanks for sharing 

4. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

My God, that looks good!!!

5. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

MY TRAINER!...She's a Twenty Two yearold HARD BODY....SHE can beat me anytime!!!  [​IMG]...JJ

6. eman

eman Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

Great looking recipe!

Just a suggestion though.

Check out nestle, La lechera,Dulce de Leche.

Canned caramel  sold in hispanic markets and i believe that wally world has it.

I buy it to make flan, but i think it would work fine in your pie and save a WHOLE BUNCH of time.

If i open a can it looks exactly like what you have in the can.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  7. big twig

big twig Smoking Fanatic

Looks great! [​IMG]

8. roller

Thanks guys I can tell you that it is good..Eman its not the same no matter what other carmel you use it does not taste like the Bordens Condense Milk...I have made that stuff that you are talking about La leche sorry not the same....looks the same but does not taste the same...I know that most people will not try this recipe because of the time factor involved and that is to bad...but hey its a free country and we can do the things that we please and that is the way it should be...I am going to make another one for TG Dinner because I boiled 2 cans ....[​IMG]   By the way you can boil the Bordens Condense Milk another couple of hours and slice the carmel up with a knife and you have bite size carmel candy...

9. roller

Thats why I can`t join the YawYe club...I would not be a good member and I know it so there is no reason for me to pretend....but I will tell you that I have lost 50lbs in the last 4 months and have gone from a 44 size jeans to a 36....

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  10. I am boiling the can right now.  I am going to give this a go.  I will post results on how it goes. 

11. jirodriguez

jirodriguez Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Wow! Grats! So.... how do you loose 50 lbs. in 4 months eating pie like that? lol

That's a secret I got to figure out!

12. Well, I made it.  It was a great success!  Everyone liked it.  It was very sweet but not as bad as I thought it would be.  Definitely a keeper and my fiancee has already asked that I make another one!

13. flareside92

flareside92 Smoke Blower

I have to admit I have never heard of the carmel /condensed milk thing

Awesome looking desert!

14. roller

I lost the weight eating 1200 calories a day for 3 and 1/2 months now that I have accomplished my goal I just eat in moderation but pretty much anything that I want to...Moderation...I feel great and do not have to take any blood pressure meds or diabitic meds any more....Now just have to keep it off...

15. roller

I am glad that you tried it and liked it...

16. roller

Thanks Flareside92

17. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Foods -- Dairy Products

Can I safely cook sweetened condensed milk in its can to caramelize it?

Rating: 76

At least one cookbook (which was recalled) and some old camping practices suggested cooking an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk in a pan of boiling water to make a sweet custard. This is not a recommended practice and could be hazardous if it exploded. If a recipe calls for caramelized sweetened condensed milk, here is a safe way to do it. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Pour one can of sweetened condensed milk into an 8" glass pie plate. Cover with foil and place in a shallow pan. Fill pan with hot water. Bake one hour or until thick and caramel-colored.

Just sayin'    [​IMG]

18. roller

Nice find Raptor...I will have to give that one a try also...I guess the company needs to make one that is carmel when you buy it....that would be the answer...Thanks again for the heads up. I just was not thinking  [​IMG]

19. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Roller, morning.... That looks like it has many applications... I like it...  Others have mentioned  "Sweetened Condensed milk" .....

Would there be a difference in using one over the other ????

I can cook meats and veggies but this pastry stuff is over my head... I can't even make oatmeal cookies, tried 3 times, they suck....

That being said, "I think I could make this".... [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  20. roller

Yes Dave this is pretty basic just be sure to keep 1in. of water over the top of the can when boiling it..And also remember that this practice of boiling a sealed can is not recommended by the saftey patrol..I have done it several times with great success...Hope you enjoy the pie...