Caribbean Jerk chicken smoke (Qview) all input welcome!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lifterpuller

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
MN
Trying caribbean jerk chicken for the first time. I am doing thighs and legs instead of a quartered chicken.

I've done a bit of research, and I think the best way to do this in MES is with a rub/paste. This is a google result that seemed pretty good:

One whole white onion, chopped
Six green onions, chopped
Two Jalapeno peppers, chopped
One Scotch bonnet pepper(or Habanero), seeded
Two teaspoons salt
Two teaspoons chopped garlic
One and one-half teaspoons allspice
One teaspoon dried thyme
One teaspoon dried oregano
One teaspoon ground cumin
One teaspoon black pepper
One-half teaspoon nutmeg
One-half teaspoon cinammon
One-quarter teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup olive oil

Add all ingredients to a blender and process until smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add just enough water to loosen it up. Rub the jerk seasoning all over the chicken, letting it marinate at least 4 hours, and better yet, overnight, before smoking it until tender.
source http://www.smoker-cooking.com/smoked...k-chicken.html

Then I plan on smoking in MES at 225 with apple.

Please feel free to give me input regarding any aspect of smoking caribbean jerk chicken. Thanks!

photos will follow. I plan on getting meat rubbed this evening.

The rub

chicken in the rub

I have no experience with a wet rub...the pic with the meat in the rub is somewhat decieving, as there is actually a good rub to meat ratio. I tripled the recipe.

I have the chicken in the rub bowl covered as tightly as possible with foil. My temporary plan is to mix the meat around in the wet rub every few hours to maximize penetration.

Should I smoke them tomorrow? Or should I let them marinade for 48 hours?

Anyone have any tips on how to keep as much wet rub on the meat when smoking?

looks like your off to a great start,

i love jerk food, the hotter the better in fact if you arent sweating while you eat it it isnt hot enough
i'd say 24 hour marinade is plenty, after its smoked to temp get the grill on hi heat and char them for a couple minutes to crisp the skin up
that scotch bonnet will do the trick

I agree, I love heat too. I hope this makes me sweat a little.

No available Scotch Bonnets, so I used Habaneros. I read that both Habaneros and Scoth Bonnets have heat ratings of 100,000–350,000 scoville units.

Hopefully the rub's hot enough.

Thanks for the idea, I will be tossing these on a very hot grill to crisp them up.

I can't wait to do this smoke. The rub smells fantastic.

Smoked the chicken yesterday. Turned out amazing. Will do this again.

Temps were around 0 yesterday, so using the MES was not ideal. I put the 3 racks of chicken and 1 rack of ABTs in with MES at 275. With food in the temp dropped down to around 125 and took 3.5 hours to get back to 200.

After 4 hours I put the chicken on a hot grill for 5 minutes/side to finish.

I am looking forward to left overs later today.

Dinner of champions on the paper plate

Me too I on my way. I just love the JERK to maybe thats why we have been t jamaicia 11 times and we aren't done yet. I like your marinade but if you have a chance to fine some jerk marinade from "Boston" jamacia it made and put out by Ochio Ros brand and it's really close to the real stuff. You cann't beat the jeerfk in Boston. If you know a real jamacian ask him where the hottest jerk in in the country and they will say Boston for sure.

I bet that smelled DELICIOUS as it was being prepared, smoked, then consumed. Nice idea to try something different with chicken. I'll have to give this a try in 2010!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Hey Lifter,

You've done a bang-up job on that jerk chicken! That wet rub looked prefect, just the right color and don't worry over the scotch bonnet-habanero deal. Either one is perfect for an authentic jerk, what with the heat and that citrusy flavor. The finished pics showing off the crustiness were excellent and made my mouth water! This is a good time of year to think about the caribbean, the heat and the sand and some good cooking!

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Great looking smoke - I love the jerked chicken - Busha Browne's makes a great wet rub if you are in a hurry for one and done have time to make it.

Looks fantastic, I am getting so if it is below 30 degrees I won't fire up the MES. Takes too long to recover, but if the door stays shut it seems to do better. With all those peppers you should be warm!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky