Care suggestions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

insight

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I just purchased a 40" MES from Sam's. I live on a main feeder canal off the Gulf of Mexico in Florida.

I want my MES not to get chewed up by the elements. It IS under an overhang so direct elements will not get to it, however there is always the salty air and humidity that concerns me.

I have not attached/screwed in the controller and have elected to just snap on the connections during smokes. Figger it will be better indoors in the dryness.

The jury is still out on whether to cover the unit during non-usage.

1) Will covering actually INCREASE the humidity under the protective cover?

2) Should I leave the vent or door open during non-use?

I know there are much more experienced minds on this forum and will patiently wait for some expertise and experience to possible address these concerns I have. Thanks in advance, fellers!

Bumpity bump...hopefully we can get you some answers
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Mine is on an ovehang porch too-I got a Weber grill cover works fine no problems. It is open at the bottom so shouldn't trap moisture-unlike wrapping in pastic which could form condensation. I keep the control inside too.

Being born an raised oceanfront there's no real good method to keep the dreaded salt air from your smoker. I don't care if you throw it in the bed under the covers with you. The air will get to it no matter where you put it the best thing that you could do is just put it in a closet or cover it so that the blowing wind won't be able to deposit little bitty chunks of salt onto your smoker. Other then that think really thick steel.

Thanks, fellers and representatives of the OTBS! Think I may get a cover. Any recommendations for a decent cover that works for you guys would be helpful.

The rep at Masterbuilt said that it might also be a good idea to coat the grates thinly with veg. oil.... and keep the door and vent closed when not in use. Those controllers, however, are surprisingly cheap...just in case!

Thanks again, gents. I am looking forward to my first smoke and will probably go for the traditional "pork shoulder ala noobie!"

I think if I lived in or around salty humidity I'd coat the whole thing in veg. oil. Cosmolene maybe even. It is stainless I belive, so you got that going for you. It wouldn't hurt to coat the innards, walls, grates etc. with Pam type spray or veg. oil. You have to anyway to season it. I seriously think a regular coating of automobile wax or something similar on the exterior would help prolong its life. If you check the variety of shapes and styles of lawn furniture covers that are of a breathable material at you local home center type place, there should be something that will fairly closely accomodate your rig. Good luck with your maiden smoke!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky