Canadian Goose Breast on the Smoker Q-view

Discussion in 'Wild Game' started by shelton573, Oct 5, 2014.

1. shelton573

shelton573 Meat Mopper

We went out and shot some geese on Saturday and I decided to take a couple breast halves, brine them and smoke them over cherry wood.
    The brine was:
    1/2 gal water
    1/2 cup salt
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    2 tbsp onion powder
    2 tbsp garlic powder
    1 tbsp mustard powder
    And some green onions.

Once out of the brine (5 hrs) I washed and patted the meat dry. I then applied EVOO and SPOG (equal parts of all 4 on the SPOG). I then smoked them at 225-235 for 4 hrs until they hit 150-155. Pics to follow because my phone won't post too big of a post.

Shelton

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    mrew likes this.
  2. shelton573

shelton573 Meat Mopper

Out of the brine covered in SPOG.
    Out of the smoke!
    Close up of a slice. Cooked to about medium but looks really rare in the pic, not sure why. Some of the best goose I have had! Highly recommend for anyone! Thanks for looking!

Shelton

crazymoon likes this.
  3. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Very nice. I never had goose.

4. shelton573

shelton573 Meat Mopper

Thank ya! We usually marinate, wrap in bacon and grill or cube it, roll in flower and fry but thought I'd try something new. Paid off pretty well!

Shelton

5. So beautiful! I love the color! Cheers! - Leah

6. Got the shotgun leanin' by the door, in case one flies over!!   That looks fantastic, I love Canada goose breasts. I'm surprised it took 4 hours to get to temp, but who cares- more time for beer & such.

Happy smokin & shootin!

7. shelton573

shelton573 Meat Mopper

Haha exactly! I couldn't believe how long it took either but damn it was good! Thanks for lookin!

Shelton

8. Hey quite new at this just wondering what SPOG stands for? Thanks

9. welshrarebit

welshrarebit Master of the Pit

Salt (usually kosher).
    Pepper.
    Onion powder or granulated.
    Garlic powder or granulated.

I also add paprika to mine.

10. Ok perfect that's what I thought but didn't want to assume and wreck it

11. Just made this took mine to about 170F like it a little more cooked inside this is amazing and only second time used the smoker super happy with this, thank you Shelton for the recipe it will be getting made a lot and more then likely used for lunch meat

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  12. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Oh my does this look good. I love the colour and bet it tastes as good as it looks. My compliments, Shelton.

Disco

13. shelton573

shelton573 Meat Mopper

Thank you very much Disco! I liked the way it turned out! The only problem with it was we did not do more of them hah!

Shelton

14. shelton573

shelton573 Meat Mopper

That looks awesome ebro! Glad I could help out!

Shelton

15. This is def getting done here, that looks great.  I have a few Goose breasts in the freezer and have been wondering what to do with them.

Thanks

Dave

16. Glad someone asked what SPOG was but EVOO??   Check above,  I'm new to this lol.

Dave

sofiasbigpop likes this.
  17. Never watched Rachel Ray's shows? Lol. EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

18. Thanks whataMESs.  LOL. 

Never seen that show, prob don't even get it here in Scotland. I'll have a look on the web and see if I can find any of them.  Every days a school day on here lol.

Dave

19. moec

moec Newbie

A couple firsts today. 

First time ever ate or smoked goose today.

I used the recipe at the start of this thread and it came out great. Some goose hunters vouched for the tastiness. 

It looks like I may be getting more goose.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  20. bcrisco

bcrisco Fire Starter

Looks good. Started smoking goose breast myself about a year ago. Beats the heck out of always making jerky. Just got done trying it in summer sausage (trail bologna) today.