Canadian Bacon Info needed.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hemi

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Central North Carolina
I got a couple whole pork loins in the freezer and I got the hots to make some Canadian Bacon. I ordered some ''curing salt'' and it came today.
Is this what I need ? it seems to talk mostly about sausage on the wrapper and hams and bacon in the advertisement. If this is it, how about fixing me up with a process or recipe to use.. Thanx, Hemi..
PDT_Armataz_01_03.gif

What kind of "cure" did you get Instacure #1, Tender Quick or what?

Eldon's sausage and jerky supply. Cure Salt #1 cures 400 pounds of meat.
1tsp per 5 pounds of meat
salt-6.22%
sodium nitrite
dextrose
fdc#3
less than 1% Glycerine
this stuff is pink in color.
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif
Hemi..

Thats insta cure #1....... its the right stuff. As far as canadian bacon...don't have a recipe for you. But at least you are on the right track with the cure!

Actually, here is the recipe from ryteks book.

for 25 pounds
5 quarts ice water
1 cup 2 T powdered dextrose
1/4 cup insta cure #1
3/4 cup salt (not iodized)

Chill pork loins to 38-40, average weight is 12-14 pounds. Remove all bones and trim down all fat to lean meat.

Dissolve all ingredients in cold water, if needed add ice to bring down temp of water, after brine is made spray pump the loins to 10% of their green weight. Place the loins into the leftover brine and refrigerate for 4-6 days at 38-40. Remove from refrigerator and wash under a shower of hot water. Let drain and stuff very tightly into a synthetic casing. Remove air pockets.

Place into a 130 preheated smokehosue with dampers wide open. hold for 4 hours with no smoke, gradually increase to 150 and close dampers to 1/4. Hold for 3 hours and introduce smoke. Increases temp to 160 and hold until 142 internal temp. Remove from smoker and cool with cold tap water until the internal temp reaches 110, hang at room temp til casings are dry. Refrigerate.

Never made the stuff myself but hope that gives you a starting point. Disregard typos.......I read and typed that quickly.

Get ya some tender quick from mortons and follow the recipe.
It's to easy to make to mess w/ any thing else. JMHO

There ain't no place around here that has tender quick . Nobody has heard of it. I have phoned, drove, and walked trying to find it. I refuse to put any more effort in it. This is something I ordered off of ebay . the time I have to spend on this limited and I am sure there is a recipe somewhere that has cure #1 in it. I appreciate the advice though. Hemi..
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

Put your pork loins in the brining container, cover with water, remove loins and weigh or measure the water left. Then I mix 1/4 tps of cure, 1 tbl. of kosher salt, 1 tbl of sugar or maple sugar per lb. of water. I then add 3 tbl. of pickling spice to the brine. Make sure water and the loins are at about 38 to 40 f and rest in fridge for at least 4 days depending on the size of the loin. I usually brine about 4 lbs. at a time due to frig space. When done brining cut a sliver off and fry it ti test it for saltiness. If it is too salty give it the 30 min soak and replace water until you like the taste. If not salty enough I wait until next one to increase salt. Piker

I just made Canadian bacon last week using brine... i had 3 pieces of pork loin cut about 8 or 9 inches long which was about 5# of meat... my recipe was:

5 quarts of water
3/4 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup maple sugar
1 Tbl black pepper corn
2 Tbl cure #1

I brined for 10 days stirring and rotating meat every day... At the end of the 10 day period I rinsed with warm water, patted dry and let them set for about an hour on the counter... I sprinkled with course black pepper and into the smoker at 225 with apple wood till internal temp was 160... It turned out excellent, not too salty (didn't have to soak) and very moist... I will be doing this again soon...

The total weight was about 5# of pork... I cut the loin into 4 pieces and make chops out of one of them and the rest was made into Canadian bacon... I cut them into the smaller pieces for convenience of the container i used for the brine...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky