Can I "air dry" my cured and smoked bacon for short term non-refrigerated storage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seadog92

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
I pulled a batch of bacon out of the smoker last night, and got to wondering about using bacon as Christmas gifts.  To start, I cured the bacon in the fridge for 8 days, using salt, #1 cure and flavorings.  I cold smoked for three hours and then moved them to my Cookshack for an hour at 190 degrees until they read 164 internal temp, cooled and refrigerated overnight.

My question is, can I now take the finished bacon and wrap in muslin

and hang it in a cool spot to dry?   Will it keep, or is there a different curing process that I need to follow in order to let these hang without refrigeration for a time? 

Even cured, the best bacon will still mold if not properly refrigerated. Even in the olden days it had ucky green stuff growing on it.

Bacon is an excellent gift and very much appreciated but its ok to keep it in the fridge. A bottle of wine needs refridge or even to breathe, those things are expected and accepted these days. For a nice slab of bacon, I could make room in my reefer... maybe even throw out the old steaks if needed!

LOL... this is one case where going green is not a good thing.

Keep makin that gud bacon, and enjoy those smokes!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky