Cajun Bread Pudding (This one is PIna Colada)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Foamheart

I will dig up some pics in a few days and see if I can figure out how to send them.I am sure you will get a kick out of seeing them.

Dan 

Hi there Foam. Another great post. I swear I gain a pound or two every time you post.

There is nothing better than a good home made bread pudding. I have never made on and the wife has only made a couple. They turned out ok but not as good looking as yours. If in the Baton Rouge-Prairieville area the best restaurant bread pudding i have found is at Sammy's grill. They make a white chocolate that is great. Miss Lilly at the old Dalton's Restaurant in Gonzales used to make a good one also.

Keep these great posts coming so I can gain back a few more of the fifty pounds I lost.

Those 50 lbs. I know where they are and would gladly give 'em back.....LOL

I was brought up on Ms. Myrt's bread pudding from Hymels. Nothing fancy just good bread pudding every time.

If you like bread pudding, give the recipe a try, Its easy and never lets me down. Its so good I just find any sauce is too much sweet. Occasional I'll dust with powdered sugar or a little ice cream. More like pouring cream on over your pudding.

Hey man, you ARE a man of many hats and have been busy! I'll bring the cheese.

Steve
That's great, I love cheese and all we get here is no name generic plastic cheese. Just one step above canned squirt cheese and squeeze cheese. LOL..... But maybe I'll have some good andouille to swap by then.

For sure a good cup of coffee and some bread pudding or beignets or pecan pie........

Last edited:
Damn. The store bought, $1 a pack chocolate chip cookie I was about to eat just lost all appeal. All I need to do is make some French bread, let it stale, then put this together. Hmmmm....Let's see, I can start the sponge for the bread tonight, Bake the bread tomorrow night, let it sit out to stale for 48 hours, so I can be eating this absolutely delicious looking bread pudding for dessert Sunday night. Totally worth it. Thanks Kevin!! And thanks for not putting raisins in it.

Damn. The store bought, $1 a pack chocolate chip cookie I was about to eat just lost all appeal. All I need to do is make some French bread, let it stale, then put this together. Hmmmm....Let's see, I can start the sponge for the bread tonight, Bake the bread tomorrow night, let it sit out to stale for 48 hours, so I can be eating this absolutely delicious looking bread pudding for dessert Sunday night. Totally worth it. Thanks Kevin!! And thanks for not putting raisins in it.
You know when given a choice between cooking and eating, I will usually chose cooking. I enjoy projects too. People here after a while warmed up to me not making traditional bread pudding with raisins. I learned it thru my travels that what matters most is the freshness of the ingredients. There is nothing fresh about raisins!

I tried dried fruits, canned fruits, fresh fruits...... and for the life of me can only see the reason for raisins as their indestructibility. I have both golden and black I keep in the pantry, no telling how long they have been here. The same with the dried fruits which I only use for fried pies cause its how Grandma did it.

I learned a lot about bread puddings from a local Mom. Don't laugh I would to this day put her up against any chef. Emeril couldn't hold her spoon. He could learn what she did, why she did it, but he didn't think of it himself. She had a huge local following not just for bread pudding but for may of the old dishes. There is one like her in every community I have always assumed. Then

Then I  met the night baker/chef in San Antonio's Pappadeauxs, He was a Mexican never been to Louisiana. LOL.... but he used what he could get locally freshest, he sometimes topped the pudding with a baked meringue. He knew what he was doing. His were never too sweet but always full of a fruit flavor.

I ramble again. I would any day rather cook that eat, I eat so I don't cook and throw it immediately away (which sometimes do anyway).

Try this, you'll really enjoy it and you'll want to share it with others. Its completely full of love for cooking. Bake your own bread then use it to make something different. You'll be surprised.

"Those 50 lbs. I know where they are and would gladly give 'em back.....LOL

I was brought up on Ms. Myrt's bread pudding from Hymels. Nothing fancy just good bread pudding every time.

If you like bread pudding, give the recipe a try, Its easy and never lets me down. Its so good I just find any sauce is too much sweet. Occasional I'll dust with powdered sugar or a little ice cream. More like pouring cream on over your pudding."

Was that Ms. Myrt at Hymel's that made the Rum Baba? The lady that made it retired a few years ago and I don't think they make it any more. We went to Hymel's last Friday for the first time in a long while. The food is as good as ever.

If you like bread pudding, give the recipe a try, Its easy and never lets me down. Its so good I just find any sauce is too much sweet. Occasional I'll dust with powdered sugar or a little ice cream. More like pouring cream on over your pudding."

Was that Ms. Myrt at Hymel's that made the Rum Baba? The lady that made it retired a few years ago and I don't think they make it any more. We went to Hymel's last Friday for the first time in a long while. The food is as good as ever.
Jamesie owns it now, and the fried batter changed a bit, but the atmosphere is the same. No, Ms. Myrt was famous for the bread pudding, upon her retirement next came the Baba ( I just checked my recipe for her name too), and If I am not mistaken that lady went with Jackie and her husband when they opened their restaurant in Gramercy. I have that Baba recipe if you think your bride would like it. Another simple easy one.

Me too!  OMG!  I haven't been on this forum long ..... first it was Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans, then Bear's Peanut Butter Meltaways, nine hour mushrooms, Oreo cheesecake cookies, then add pulled pork, ribs, pork loin, grilled steak, fatties, fatties and fatties ........ can I get extra bacon and maybe a pastrami sandwich?  Now it's Pina Colada bread pudding with rum sauce and you can bet your a$$ I'm going to make some!  This place is killing me, but what a way to go!  Thanks Foamheart and all the rest of you who are contributing to our new culinary adventure.  
th_Slab_of_meat.gif

Jamesie owns it now, and the fried batter changed a bit, but the atmosphere is the same. No, Ms. Myrt was famous for the bread pudding, upon her retirement next came the Baba ( I just checked my recipe for her name too), and If I am not mistaken that lady went with Jackie and her husband when they opened their restaurant in Gramercy. I have that Baba recipe if you think your bride would like it. Another simple easy one.
Thanks Foam, I would love that recipe. My sister and I were talking about Hymels rum baba this week and how we could find the recipe.

BaBa

Grind 2 coconuts and mix with 1C of sugar, set aside

Custard

1C Sugar

6 eggs (separated)

3/4C Cornstarch

1 qt. Whole Milk

1 T vanilla Extract

Mix sugar and egg yolks. Make a slurry with a little milk and cornstarch and add to sugar and egg mixture. Scald milk, remove from heat, temper in egg mixture. Return to heat till mixture is creamy. Remove for heat and add vanilla.

Dough

6 eggs (separated)

1/2C Sugar

1C AP Flour

1Cap Lemon extract

Beat egg whites stiff, add sugar, and a splash of lemon juice, (basically make a meringue so I assume a you could substitute cream of tater for lemon juice for stability). Beat egg yolks till light and add 1/2C sugar. Slowly fold whites and yolks together. A cap of lemon or orange extract then add flour.

Pour into a 13x9, bake at 360 for 20 mins. Then pour the custard on the dough, then the coconut, then the meringue, and bake another 20 to 30 mins. till Meringue is golden.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

The above is the original, it was written 1971. No Baba mold mentioned, no rum in it and I cleaned up the recipe as best I could...LOL Much of it is written in bastardized Coonazz. Its part of the old Union Volunteer Fire Dept. Cook book which was hand published (done on a typewriter and run on a mimeograph machine then cut and stapled), with all the local little old lady favorites from back then. It is where most all the dishes around here today evolved. Most have the contributor's names and there is some wild stuff. I can bet you can figure out where to add the rum. LOL

Hope you and your sister enjoy making it your Baba recipe.

Me too!  OMG!  I haven't been on this forum long ..... first it was Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans, then Bear's Peanut Butter Meltaways, nine hour mushrooms, Oreo cheesecake cookies, then add pulled pork, ribs, pork loin, grilled steak, fatties, fatties and fatties ........ can I get extra bacon and maybe a pastrami sandwich?  Now it's Pina Colada bread pudding with rum sauce and you can bet your a$$ I'm going to make some!  This place is killing me, but what a way to go!  Thanks Foamheart and all the rest of you who are contributing to our new culinary adventure.  
th_Slab_of_meat.gif
These are just normal things....... Tell the bride you are going to have to start chasing her around the block. Good exercise and think of the stories the neighbors will tell......

Wow ! Nice job on the bread pudding and the whole thread. I can't believe I didn't see it until now.
Thanks Todd. I don't know why I never think of stuff like bread pudding, I mean it is a smoked meat forum? Guess I'll just have to start a Cajun food section.....ROFLMAO

Thanks again, and I know what ya mean about finding threads. I am missing so many these days I am embarrassed when I find 'em.

Foamheart you are such a treat!

From your dessert to description, you do deliver a damn find and great read!!

This looked just terrific!

Cheers! - Leah
That you Leah, I have to tell stories, everything I cook is so easy there is too much time left after explaining how to make it.

You know I finally figured out the difference between a great Chef and a really good cook...........

LOL.... I posted this on my sausage post, but thought I would add it here.

We ran out of Bread pudding, no that's not surprising. But I had all that Coconut rum caramel sauce left over.

I though about cooking it down a little and adding a little corn syrup (Yes I watched Alton Brown!). I took it to soft ball and dumped in a double handful of those hugmongious pecan halves I smoked, remember? I strained them out and separated and allowed to chill overnight. Today realizing they were sticky, like a caramel apple, I coated with granulated sugar and it cured that while making some of the best Coconut Rum caramel coated pecans I ever ate. Only other way I have had these they are called pralines down here.

THEN, what was left I poured out on a sheet pan and chilled. Then slammed and broke like brittle. They taste just like Werther's caramel hard candies!

Sure glad I didn't just pour that stuff out like usual! Its been a load of fun. I though my Baby Sis and Pop were going to be sick they ate so many!

Its sorta off set the sausage attempt failing, so I was all happy happy again! Remember, Mom, we should play with our food!!!! ROFLMAO!

Just thought I would share all that on a finished and done thread........Thanks if ya come back by and read it for that.

Last edited:

BaBa

Grind 2 coconuts and mix with 1C of sugar, set aside

Custard

1C Sugar

6 eggs (separated)

3/4C Cornstarch

1 qt. Whole Milk

1 T vanilla Extract

Mix sugar and egg yolks. Make a slurry with a little milk and cornstarch and add to sugar and egg mixture. Scald milk, remove from heat, temper in egg mixture. Return to heat till mixture is creamy. Remove for heat and add vanilla.

Dough

6 eggs (separated)

1/2C Sugar

1C AP Flour

1Cap Lemon extract

Beat egg whites stiff, add sugar, and a splash of lemon juice, (basically make a meringue so I assume a you could substitute cream of tater for lemon juice for stability). Beat egg yolks till light and add 1/2C sugar. Slowly fold whites and yolks together. A cap of lemon or orange extract then add flour.

Pour into a 13x9, bake at 360 for 20 mins. Then pour the custard on the dough, then the coconut, then the meringue, and bake another 20 to 30 mins. till Meringue is golden.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

The above is the original, it was written 1971. No Baba mold mentioned, no rum in it and I cleaned up the recipe as best I could...LOL Much of it is written in bastardized Coonazz. Its part of the old Union Volunteer Fire Dept. Cook book which was hand published (done on a typewriter and run on a mimeograph machine then cut and stapled), with all the local little old lady favorites from back then. It is where most all the dishes around here today evolved. Most have the contributor's names and there is some wild stuff. I can bet you can figure out where to add the rum. LOL

Hope you and your sister enjoy making it your Baba recipe.
Thanks Foam. I know we will enjoy the BABA.

Time to make the sauce! I wish I had some of that Parrot coconut rum, I bet that would make a good hot rum sauce for this.

Sauce is easy but I am not too inspired to night.....LOL  Brown sugar, butter, heavy Cream, rum. Add a couple a raisins.

1C, 1/2C, 1/2C, 1/4C, Cap of rum extract, a couple a raisins. You know I have once heated up some butter pecan ice cream, added rum and stirred.....LOL

Had to go back and look for your sauce recipe, as it looked so good in your sausage thread.  Yep, found it.  And saved to my computer!  I'm putting together a big birthday bash for my husband in June, with 20+ family members.  Main course will by smoked PP, homemade kielbasa, and homemade brats.  Dessert is a fruit crisp, Jeremy's cookie cheese balls, and looks like your bread pudding and sauce to round things out! 

Thanks, Kevin!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky