Buying new grill and want opinions on weber grills?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pandemonium

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Florida
i have never bought a weber due to the price but have been looking at them online and they all seem to get great reviews, so does anyone here own one and how is it? i hear they have a great warranty too? or what kind of gas grill do you have that you would recommend?

I bought my 1st Weber in 1972 and used it for 22 years. The only thing was I had to replace the grills when they were used up. On an average I grilled about 4 nights per week. Then I gave it to my Daughter who used it for 12 more years. So my average cost per year was $2. I went to gas for 10 years because I got lazy and wanted that instant gratification. Last year I picked up a used 22.5 off of CraigsList for $10. Put in new grills and she works like a charm. The only thing I use my gasser for now is because it has the rotisserie.
Good Luck.

Yeah... the Webers gassers are built like a tank and the do last a long time. My only problem with them was the actual amount of grill space. I usually went for the most square inches I could afford on the main cooking grill.

I've had a Weber Genesis Silver now for over 6 years. I clean it regularly and it looks and works like brand new. I use it 4-5 nights a week.
I do agree on the amount of grill space but when you get to learning its heat settings, you can group alot of food in there and have everything come out good...

Bottom line is ya get what ya pay for.. Although alot of the bigger stainless things are a bunch of bling and shottily built..

No doubt that weber is the way to go. You do get what you pay for. Might as well get yourself a kettle while your at it too. I use the Kettles for 95% of my grilling. The gasser only gets used occasionally when I dont have time for coals.

Amen to the charcoal kettle...haven't used my gasser for almost a year.

Kettles are so versatile and charcoal cranks out a much better flavor IMO.

The methods for cooking on one are almost endless, but my all-time favorite is cold smoke/sear.

Gassers are nice for a backup or when you have a larger group and need more space to cook on, but the kettle is my "go to" grill.

Eric

i do agree charcoal does taste better but i like gas because its quick, well when i had a job there was no time to wait for coals to get going, i will go look at some webers tomorrow i have never even touched one at the store because i would see the price on it lol

Keep an eye on craigs list. You'll flip when you find one for $50!! or less. BTW, you may get lucky and find an older one as I think they are better. Do pay attention to the burners cause they are expensive to replace.

beard

I have mine for 12 years and converted it to natural gas and it still works great.

I have a weber q220 gas grill. I love it, heavy-duty cast iron cooking grate, its portable have cooked lots of burgers and steaks over the last three years and still burning like the day I got it.

I have 4 Weber products at the moment and wouldn't trade any of them.

The Weber Performer is awesome because it's a 22.5" charcoal kettle fired by propane. The propane lights the coals and once their lit, turn the gas off and you're good to go in ~15 minutes. That's the same amount of time I would wait for my gasser to heat up the grates.

When I'm done, I shut the vents and an hour later the coals are cold. I shake off the ash and leave the cold coals in for the next cook.

The performer is expensive, but worth it in my opinion. Plus the side table, charcoal bucket and bottom rack make it the perfect party grill.

Gotta do it. My parents have 2 Weber Genesis II grills...1 LP and 1 NG and they love them both. The NG grill fell over during a storm and the lid broke. Weber replaced it for 50 bucks or so and it was at their house in 2 days after ordering it. That grill is 10 years old.

Stay away from the stainless monstrosities (unless it's a Jenn-aire...). I've had 3 in the past 6 years and dumped them all for Webers.

thanks for the info i am excited at the fact that i will own a good grill i have read reviews last night on webers and all were good!! gonna get probably the spirit or genesis model

Personally, I would not buy a Genesis grill as I don't like the front to back burner arrangement. I prefer side to side burners.

Other than that, I'd have no hesitation recommending Weber, the damn things are built like tanks and last practically forever. They're expensive up front, but cheap over the long term.

i noticed that too and thought that was weird they are always side by side but it shouldnt really matter you just put the done food on back or front instead of the sides to keep warm right?

For me it's a personal thing. I just prefer the L-R burners. I feel I can get better temp control because there is more space between the heat source and the food.

IMO if all you are going to do is grill over direct heat, the Genesis series is great, but if one wants to do indirect grilling or smoking then I prefer the side by side arrangement just because there is more space available between the heat & the meat.

gotcha that makes sense, im not sure i like that either but i wont be slowcooking on it i have uds for that deal.

omg pulled trigger on weber genesis 310 having nervous breakdown pics later ohh time for a frosty buddy aka ice cold delicious beer!!!

Congrats, i am about to get the weber performer to go along with the wsm.. I will own only weber for a long time it appears......
biggrin.gif

I have a Weber Spirit and a Smokey Joe. I've gone through a lot of grills over the years and these are my first Webers. Never been so happy before. The Spirit is good for a fast gas job and large enough for a small crowd and the Smokey Joe is just perfect for me and the wife for Saturday Date Night as we consume our weekly red liquid antioxidants. They are well built quality products. Well worth the higher price.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky