Butt's Done, But What Is This?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lovinsmokin

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
Lincoln NE
We smoked a 7lb butt last night, finally got done around 5am, got to pulling @ 9. There were 2 spots where the meat was an odd shade of brown/grey. I've seen this one other time in a rack of ribs we smoked, but then it ws foul smelling and we tossed that section of the rack, and everything else was fine. I'm going to try again to get pictures up, if anyone recognizes this, or knows what it is, help me out! I kept the 'dark meat' in a separate container this time because it doesn't smell at all, and I tasted a lil piece about 10 minutes ago and I still feel fine.....

confused.gif

There are glands in a shoulder/butt that I hunt out and remove, if for no other reason than they look gross. They have no "meat" in them, and would appear with that same"grey' look as before smoking.

On edit..see "pig party' thread

Was it boneless or bone in?? Usually you get that color by the bone, if it was boneless, it's where the bone was!! No prob's, it's all good!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Yep... the gland I mentioned is like an inch around. I don't suppose it's gonna hurt ya actually... but you will get that around the bone too. A higher concentration of sinew <connective tissue> in that area.

This one was bone in. I had heard from an old pig farmer that it was probaly a gland also. Was very stinky in the ribs, seems fine in the butt. Tastes ok. Just a funny color, we'll put that in the samich meat!
wink.gif
Thanks for the help guys!

Ha ha I almost threw it away too! But since I had seen it before in some ribs and that ws VERY smelly, this didn't seem too harmful since it wasn't stinky. Looks funny, tastes grrreat!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky